“Disney Junior” Replaces SOAPnet in 2012

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well...

I'll say this much: it filled a particular niche that wasn't otherwise represented in the cable TV landscape. However, even under the best circumstances, there's a true downside to re-airing soaps, which I'll explain in a moment.

Well, as far as re-airing classic soaps go, DARK SHADOWS remains the biggest success story. For years, the complete series was available on videotape (and later, on DVD). Not to mention, they were a staple of Sci-Fi's morning lineup for a very long time, back when Sci-Fi was "Sci-Fi," and not "Syfy." Ergo, they had plenty of exposure and influence over the public. But even that success was due more to the show's inherent kitsch and late-'60's nostalgia factor than to anything else. (I mean, if you watched DS on a regular basis and thought it was the best-written, best-acted and best-produced soap ever, then...well...I'm not gonna say anything more about that, lol.)

The truth is, it's never going to be easy to convince any network to run even one classic soap, b/c the pickings, if you will, are pretty damn slim.

Archived