“Disney Junior” Replaces SOAPnet in 2012

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm with you, Khan. Every year I read a prediction from fans that soaps have maybe five years left. That's been going on for at least the last five years. I think they're on borrowed time, now, and can't see soaps lasting much beyond the next couple of years. Soap fans are losing their 'line ups' and I think it was the 'diversity' of offerings that made the difference.

When the BnB made me ill, I could tune it out for a while and watch more GH or GL. Now? If the BnB makes me ill, I don't have many other choices and find myself tuning out daytime all together. Constantly cutting back the number of daytime shows has worked against the remaining shows, IMO.

• Members

IMO, what hurt daytime more than even decades of shitty writing and acting has been the utter lack of individuality within the genre. Back in the day, as they say, each soap had its' own, unique, personal identity. ATWT and GL, for example, were the more "family-driven" soaps, while GH and DAYS focused more on romance and action-adventure stories. Although just about every soap had its' share of supercouples, you could count on Y&R, let's say, giving you the kinds of stories that you weren't liable to find elsewhere. Now, though, each soap is virtually indistinguishable from the others; and all soaps are virtually rotten at the core.

• Members

One thing that blurs the soaps identity is the soap hopper. I really resented when Tamara Braun came to DOOL. If I want to watch an ABC star I will watch an ABC soap. There were always a few who hopped around, but the shows had a core of actors who stuck with the show through thick and thin. Now, so many are hired guns and with the way the actors go from show to show (and the writers too) they all start to look alike.

• Members

I agree, and that's my central point. When the writing was bad, you had choices, you could move on to something else. Now? The writing is horrendous across the board and there are so few soaps, there is no where to go but cable and watching 'primetime in the daytime'. The soaperatti is incestuous and keeps claiming that it's such a 'specialty' field that no one outside of daytime can understand it (that's because they're so "speshul"). Somehow primetime and cable are surviving with infusing new blood and new ideas. As a result, the same few burned out writers are shifted from show to show. You can't get away from them trying to shove the same tired ideas at what they think is a 'new' audience.

Daytimers typically watch multiple shows, so if you didn't like a mother and daughter sleeping with the same man and beating each other up on one show, you sure as hell aren't rooting for the hack writer to bring that storyline to another show you're watching. When there were more soaps (and more writers) there were also more ideas.

The writing in daytime is awful because the same tired group of writers has nothing new to offer. They have nothing left but false self-praise and a career on a downward slide. Does anyone know if any of the currently unemployed daytime writers have found work on any successful projects? I can't imagine there are producers out there lining up to grab any of the 'elite' in daytime.

ETA:... while probably not a popular opinion, I also think a huge problem in daytime is that TIIC are have extended this ideology to hiring actors. The 'newer' actors were treated as 'speshul' too. Instead of relying on tried and true and highly skilled vets, daytime PTB decided that a small group of select newbies were the future of daytime. I won't name names, but I think we can all list at least a half dozen who are shifted from show to show along with tired/burned out writers and executive producers.

The problem is that the pretty but pointless actors weren't skilled enough to add new dimensions to their characters from show to show and on top of the same tired storylines, you had the same actors, with new names, but nothing that differentiated them from character to character.

• Members

I'd put the blame more on the writers than the actors. I see what you mean, but the soaps are like one big rep company though. And once you've joined in, it's difficult to break out. A double edged sword because an actor most likely wants to pursue other mediums, but at the same time, soaps have been an invaluable insurance policy for a lot of folks who tried their hands in primetime and film with little to no luck. I imagine that an actor could get bored and frustrated playing the same character for years and I can see why they might want some variety. Kathleen Noone comes to mind, not that she wasn't married to AMC's Ellen but she knew there was a specific type of role she just had to get out there and play.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Bring back Dysfunctional Family night, or whatever it was called. With Dynasty & all the rest. And Melrose Place. They should just ride out the last few months (years?) with old-school repeats, the way it should've been always.

Wasn't "Sisters" on their line-up when it began in 2000?

Archived