“Disney Junior” Replaces SOAPnet in 2012

• Members

Unless, of course, it's the Trump Network. Or, as its CEO and founding President is liable to call it, "the Greatest Network in the History of Primetime Television." (Cue the Apprentice reruns.)

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Soap Center was one show, Tanika Ray was on West Coast soaps and some blonde woman was on East Coast soaps. Then they just started recycling old clips which were introduced by Tanika and finally they dumped the show altogether.

I finally got Soapnet around 2001 or so when they still had a lot of their stuff, and it's been a sad and long decline ever since.

I'm just glad that their efforts to show how superior they were to soaps with stuff like Southern Smells of Desperation or Bank of Bumhole got them about as much as actually staying with soaps would have gotten them.

Maybe Frons can get James Franco to show up on Being Erica. Have some PERFORMANCE ART where he walks on the set and tells them the show is canceled, or whatever.

• Members

They had the access to the material, even if it was owned by someone else. Agnes and Jim and Barbara would have allowed SOAPnet to acquire The City and maybe air it on the weekdays or on weekends in late-night. They had the perfect tie-ins with Tracy Q and former City actors like Lisa Low and Cassie Layne.

Or even a show like Sunset Beach where they gave Annie a perfect throwaway line(promoting Beach airing twice a day on NBC) that could have been used in their commercials.

Even if they didn't want to commit to 80's shows like Another World and Santa Barbara, there was some stuff SOAPnet could have acquired from the 90's where there was no penalty for re-scoring scenes with pop music that would have appealed to their target market(SOAPnet's excuse for not acquiring Santa Barbara).

• Members

Carl, I think that's when I started to catch it, when Tanika was hosting the repackaged clips.

Exactly bellcurve. And you know, they pissed me off when they cancelled DFN: Dysfunctional Family Night. As they acquired more daytime soaps (sure, a good thing) they pushed the classic primetime out, only to cancel more daytime reairings to squeeze in all of those '90s/'00s shows. But DFN was a *perfect* slot for the Flamingo Roads, the Emerald Points, the CPWs, et cetera. Just a couple of hours, ONE night a week. I do commend them though for airing Paper Dolls, Pasadena, The Monroes, those were pleasant surprises and unfortunately I ended up missing most of that stuff.

• Members

How sad. SoapNet was once such a great channel: where else could you get a Daily dose of Dynasty? But I can't even remember the last time I tuned into Soapnet. I watched the OLTL musical episodes at Hulu. I understand the logic behind their bullshit reasoning, but it is a false logic. The history of network TV shows that when people break a habit they don't come back. That's why MASH got 80 million viewers and today finales get 15. There is something cold about watching TV online though, I can't explain it. It doesn't feel the same. The TV for a lot of people gives a sense of keeping you company; I know people who leave the TV on so they don't feel quite so alone. With online, that sense of someone being there with you--talking to you--does not exist. Many people go to sleep with the TV on, or have it on in the background while cooking or whatever, and this is not the same thing as having to go online and do work: go the site, load up the program, and click play.

• Members

So true. I'm like that, I got it from my mother and it used to drive my other half crazy because I always wanted to fall asleep with the TV on. I like the "mutter" and I hate falling asleep in dead silence. A fan was the compromise. But I totally know what you mean, there *is* something cold about watching online, on dvd even. It lacks the spontaneity of what episode's next, will it be a favorite or a least favorite, et cetera. One "trick" if you're watching on YouTube is to make a really LONG playlist of your shows and play it on shuffle. I've seen most episodes of my favorite sitcoms multiple times so I don't mind if I land on part 3 of "The Rent Party" then part 2 of "Sex and the Evans Family" on Good Times, especially if I have it on just for cheery background noise while I'm busy doing other things. I suppose that makes me not only a TV over silence person, but a TV over radio person too. ;)

• Members

No, not really. Its ABC admitting that a soap opera network is less profitable than a kids network.

Soapnet to MTV isnt really a fair comparison. MTV doesnt even show videos anymore, soapnet shows soaps. in fact it shows 5 soaps a night and reruns primetime soaps. Its very much soapnet. its just not classic daytime soap opera network. and it never really was.

VAULT Disney. lol, yes i do.

+1. Exactly.

But it wasnt failing. Thats the most shocking part of all of this. Ut was doing well. In the past two years it has grown an audience. It has gotten major press from varity and hollywood report and other outlets about its gains.

Archived