Plastic Surgery of the Soap Stars

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ugh, my husband has bought into this crap and I've been working hard to get the children to understand whole foods vs. chemicalized foods (which are still made with fewer chemicals in Canada, though still a lot more than Europe). He also has decided he has to start every day with one or two diet energy drinks. I've told him in no uncertain terms that WHEN the heart attack happens make sure it's good 'cause I have no interest in being his nurse.

• Members

Yup, the ozone layer was perfectly intact during that period. Pollutants and chemicals are a big part of what is killing us and ageing us.

When it comes to sunscreen, the growing consensus is that sunscreens work by mitigating the effects of free radicals, someone like Catherine Hickland, with her crispy fried skin, is just a glaring example of what free radicals do. Ironically enough, chemical sunscreens have their own problems as well...but in the grand scheme of things, those problems are minute in comparison to what the sun can do.

Chemicals, be them in cleaning products, car exhaust, food, sprayed onto clothing etc, should be kept to a minimum in order for someone to age as well as they can. There ARE good chemicals, absolutely and without question, but there are negative ones as well and we all need to be mindful.

Whole foods are the only way to go. Remos, you've got it right, Canadian processed food has far less chemicals than American processed food. Canadian processed food is on par with French processed foods, which is quite good. The UK's processed foods are just as bad as the American products, if not worse.

And believe me, it shows right across everyone's faces.

• Members

On this one, I have NO problem being more like the French, lol…… with wine, of course!

It's quite the interesting display in my house. I homeschool as most of you know, so in the end I have the majority opinion regardless. But the kids themselves look at what their father gives them - covered in condiments to hide the fact that the natural fat has been removed - and then they look at the whole and raw food I serve them. Kids aren't stupid. They know that real food has real taste. Processed food all tastes the same.

• Members

I think it's interesting nowadays how we are seeing a lot of commercial where people are talking about "Sneaking" healthy foods to their children and family members. Like with a lot of tomato based products, (Spaghetti sauce, Manwich sauce, V8, etc...)

I love tomatoes and tomato based products, and think it's one of the tastiest/healthiest things from the vegetable and fruit food group. But I do think it would be better if children and people ate other vegetables and fruits as well. And if parents encouraged their children and families to eat more fruit and vegetables, in addition to tomato based stuff.

But it seems like a lot of people these days aren't really encouraging their children and family to eat well. And mostly do stuff like try and sneak them a vegetable serving by serving something like Chef Boyardee.

I've also seen stuff where people will say they are lacking fiber or some other essential nutrient and their are powders and drinks advertised to help with that. Even though getting the proper amount of fiber doesn't have to be difficult if people would just eat more balanced meals.

I think that a lot of people could get a lot of the nutrients they needed if they just ate balanced, healthy meals. And didn't try to "sneak" healthy stuff or use supplement/subsitutes in the place of good and healthy food.

• Members

My kids watch those commercials and they react much the same way - what is that stupidity? They all love raw veggies (though #3 is the hardest to convince about new ones). My bookends would eat me out the fridge if I let them, esp. #4 (my red-headed Viking). My daughter (#1) has actually experienced an 80% raw diet curing her allergies and she likes it. The fact that advertisers are now trying to pretend kids won't eat vegetables is beyond pathetic.

You don't need to "sneak" anything. Given the options available even the most picky eater will eventually eat rather than starve.

• Members

lol. :lol: I think that the sneaking stuff is silly too. And then the parents in the commercials are acting all proud that they had to sneak healthy stuff to their kids. Parents shouldn't have to sneak healthy stuff to their children and families.

I can understand that some children and people don't like certain vegetables or fruits. And I don't think that children necessarily have to eat every vegetable/fruit that's out there. But out of all the different types of fruits and vegetables out there, there's something for everyone's taste. People at the very least can find a handful of fruits/vegetable and probably a whole lot more than that, that appeal to them.

I think that most children would eat fruit, if offered to them, if only because a lot of it tastes sweet. How hard is it really to feed a kid a banana, apple, or orange, or some berries or some type of fruit. I think that vegetables are a harder sell, but I think that there are vegetables out there that a lot of kids would eat.

If their parents would just serve it to them and encourage them to eat it. I think that if a lot of parents would start their children out eating fruits/vegetables when they are really young, the kids would continue to do that as they get older.

But they don't do that and then their child ends up not eating very well and turns into an adult that doesn't eat very well. And probably end up relying on something like Ensure to get their nutrients.

• Members

Vegetables, Shakespeare, Trumpet…. regardless of what you're doing, if children are introduced to it as though it's just part of life and no big deal, then they'll treat it as part of life and no big deal.

Just the other day my daughter (12) told me she's reading Taming of the Shrew for fun and she tells a great version of Midsummer Night's Dream. My 6 year old ate an entire container of raw Green beans because he was hungry and that was the easiest thing to get out of the fridge. My almost-8 year old can teach Integers and basic Algebra. The 10 year old is picking up French as though he lived in the culture. EVERYTHING is open for kids - it's the adults who royally screw it up in presentation.

Archived