Plastic Surgery of the Soap Stars

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure non Canadians are aware that "Newfies" are the punchline to a lot of jokes here (think dumb blonde jokes). Horrible stereotype--I visited there as a teenager, and seriously they're some of the nicest people I've ever met. (Ha, that sounds condescending I realize, but I don't mean it to...)

• Members

I have to admit, I really don't see the problem in the before picture at all. That said, I can understand how, especially in an industry like acting, someone can get kinda obsessed with a small "imperfection" like that.

Thom's face does look different, but is that plastic surgery (DaytimeFan--I know if you say it is then it must be). I always just assumed it was age--hrmm.

• Members

Very true. I wonder how many non-Eastern Canadians also know that during 9-11 the folks near the airports in Newfoundland started arriving before the planes even started landing, waiting to take the displaced home for a warm bed, a hot meal, distraction for the kids and 24 hour news coverage. Every year since many of the Americans who were stranded during those days return for a reunion. There's a reason we call it God's Country (or in the middle of winter God's Forsaken, lol). My grandfather was a Newf.

• Members

LOL.... that was funny - and idiotic. Those from Newfoundland call themselves Newfies. In fact that's further broken down into "Townies" and "Bay Men". They also have a wicked sense of humour and will be the first people in any group to tell jokes on themselves. I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as when I've been in a crowd with Newfies. In university we used to love getting the Newfies and the Capers (that's people from Cape Breton) rolling on "Where did John Cabot land?" Now I realize that joke is completely contextual and unless you know your Maritime history you won't get it.... sorry for that... but the crux of it was my brilliant buddy Craig (Nfld) and my brilliant buddy Chris (CB) would go on for an hour debating the hell out of it - both claiming to be the first island discovered by Cabot - and the beer would be flowing and we would be in pain from laughing so much.

Just to add to your Lexicon:

Newfoundland - Newfies

Nova Scotia - Blue Nosers (after a famous sailing ship the Blue Nose)

New Brunswick - Herring Chokers

Prince Edward Island - Islanders

Cape Breton - Capers

This is one of those "don't believe everything you read in Wiki" moments.

We are a people - just like any other people - and have our share of idiots, bigotries, stupidity.... but generally we are a genial people who will make fun of ourselves long before anyone else gets to, and that's in every part of this country.

• Members

He is a complete idiot who is going to make a mess of this city and perhaps be even more of an embarrassment than Mel Lastmen (and that's saying something). We leftist types are just sitting back and watching it happen - sometimes people just have to hang themselves before they'll learn.

In all honesty, there wasn't much to choose from and people want to buy the neo-con line that taxes are evil, forgetting completely that that's the way we pay for health services, road work, parks, sports facilities, etc.

The intelligentsia of this city is also moving out, so what's left isn't really into "big picture" thinking. Toronto really isn't as progressive as they like to pretend. I kept my name when I married and when I moved here I actually had people look at me and say "ah, you're not really married, you just call it that". I'm like... no, I have the certificate to prove it. Then we gave our daughter my name and our son's my husband's name.... WELL..... 12 years later some still don't believe they are full siblings. That's not everyone of course, but it's enough that it's noticeable.

• Members

That's just makeup Sylph, Oprah hasn't had anything done which is very apparent whenever they give her a medium closeup. :ph34r: Not that there's anything wrong with that. :P She has said that if she ever does anything she'll spill, and she foot the bill for her longtime makeup artist Reggie Wells to get his face rejuvenated (and sort of act as a guinea pig for her) by Manhattan dermatologist-socialite (what a combination), Dr. Lisa Airan.

• Members

The Toronto election is kinda shocking--then again we've had Steven Harper as PM for a while now 9thankfully he's not been able to do as much damage as he might have been able to--I love how some of his initial platforms, like making gay marriage illegal again became big old non issues when not even most of his conservative followers wanted to bother). About the Newfies though--Remos is right, if anything many of the jokes probably originated with them. By and large I think Canada is farily progressive, all things considered, Newfie jokes or not.

Remos, interesting about your name. My mom kept her maiden name when she married back in the early 70s, and said she got the most flack for it when she spent a year in Ottawa (where my dad was at law school), compared to back in Edmonton, whgen you'd think it might be the other way around. (Of course it made things easier when my parents divorced ten or so years back). They gave us three kids a hyphenated name, which caused some problems (Henwood-Greer was always too long to fit in the little squares when doing school tests :P ) and I think for a while my mom thought ti was a mistake and was trying to get us to change it just back to my dad's, Greer--but I kinda like having a last name that no one else has (I assume... :blink: ), even if it could cause probs if I ever have kids with someone with a hyphenated name too. LOL. But personally, though it's none of my business, I think it makes sense for women to keep their last name.

• Members

I've always felt that Oprah had work done on her nose even tho she swears up and down she didn't. Regardless of her weight influctuations, when you compare photos of her from her earlier days to now her nose is clearly more defined.

Archived