Plastic Surgery of the Soap Stars

• Members

Friend of mine had carboxytherapy for his dark circles - gotta say he looks much improved. He did say its very temporary and you need "top-ups" quite often.

I'd never heard of carboxytherapy before and never have heard of stars using it - I just thought they use lots of makeup to hide dark circles on tv, airbrushing etc. lol. Anyone else heard of it? good? bad?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've heard of it and I have to say, I'm not certain that it's completely safe.

Basically, carboxotherapy involves injecting carbon dioxide into the skin with the promise of killing fat cells, lightening undereye circles and improving skin elasticity.

Not only do I not buy that it can achieve any of that, I do not buy that injecting a gas is safe. For one, whenever an injection is given (be it Botox, the flu shot or an immunization) all gas is cleared from the syringe prior to injection so that we don't inject a bubble into the system that could result in the death of the patient.

Wouldn't recommend it. Undereye circles are very stubborn, but fillers can help, as can lifestyle factors and cosmetics.

• Members

I always wondered what caused undereye circles, I'm guessing some people are genetically predisposed to them? i've certainly never had a prolem with them, and i've been in the sun ALOT. Just found a relatively recent Joan Interview on Piers Morgan's show... it's SO good. So true about what she says about older women who are too thin. i'm a firm believer that as a woman gets older, she needs to carry an extra 10 pounds, it goes along way to softening wrinkles. I love how she says "Maybe Piers should be nervous about me".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3kGAKZn148

• Members

There's some debate about Melissa Leo. I'm so glad she's getting more and more recognition. I loved her on Homicide and it's very entertaining to me that after she was fired and then basically belittled in the press, that she is the one who is getting this work.

http://gofugyourself.com/golden-globes-well-played-melissa-leo-01-2011#more-321351

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

That was great. I'm not sure about the wig she was wearing in her workouts, the Shirley Bassey look, or some of those hilarious outfits (the one looked like a Gram Parsons nudie suit, and the grandma sweater along with Spandex...). She's always fun. I like it better when she doesn't keep nervously looking at the camera.

Yes, back when it was watchable :(

• Members

Anyone watch "Bridalplasty" season finale? Of course Alison would have chosen Janessa. The other choice would have been boring with zero viewers. Alison looked gorgeous. She has such a pretty face I can only imagine how prettier she would look if she continued to lose weight.

• Members

Angela Lansbury's 'Positive Moves' was a topic of discussion at a conference I attended about ageing. It was singled out as perhaps the best fitness and lifestyle program for people 60+ because it was so positive, encouraging and gentle. I happen to agree.

That said, Joan's video is *fabulous* and if this picture is anything to go by (taken yesterday on holiday), her routine has served her well...

51rxo.jpg

• Members

For me the pelvic thrusts were more embarrassing than the tub. :lol:

I can see why the video was so highly regarded DaytimeFan - there's a certain freedom and confidence in there which uplifts you. I just love the part about riding a bicycle. She recreated the scene from the Murder She Wrote credits didn't she? Many older people feel such shame and regret, and here is Angela, who has fought and won a battle for life on her own terms, doing what should be a little silly, like the dancing, yet making it seem natural. Jane Fonda, I have a lot of respect for her, but I thought her videos were often so tense.

I can't help contrasting the videos from Joan and Angela to many of today's fitness videos. I don't know about the market in the US, but in the UK, you have women like Colleen Nolan and Natalie Cassidy who are naturally larger and then, for the brief period of time they are skinny, rush out for a fitness DVD before they put the pounds back on. How cynical is that? And how dispiriting for the people who believe in what they are selling.

Angela and Joan have lived, they are comfortable with themselves - you can trust them or at least respect their opinions.

Did they talk any about some of the worst fitness videos, DaytimeFan?

• Members

OMG, seeing Joan in black sneakers has made my day! "Pull that stomach in, gahhhhhhls!" Nice splits, Joan.

My mom got that Angela Lansbury video about 10-15 years ago. Angela Lansbury is a star who exudes common sense and benefits from a groundswell of respect. She has a lot of fans of a certain age! Her video seemed pretty solid to me, not faddish at all. And neither did Joan's.

Archived