AMC: Tuesday, January 5, 2010

• Members

LOL was it personal with poor Mary F too? :(

Well Claire Labine in her recnet interview said ABC never had any deals liek that re character use with any of the shows she worked on. It wouldn't surprise me if for a soap owned by ABC they'd put that clause into the contract (I'd think with soaps if every writer for every character created still got paid it could get VERY complex with some writers even arguing about who created whom)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I totally agree with your last point, though (with some exceptions like that Asian Blair one which was kinda done as a joke aside) the soaps don't seem to agree--in the AMC trivia book it even said for the 20th anniversary ep they couldn't show some clipsthey wanted to because Walt Wiley was an extra in them and he now had a role on the show--I agree it wouldn't matter to viewers, they're smart enough. But oh well.

Re first anniversary ep--that's simply waht I read :P I thought I could be wrong--maybe they meant first clips heavy anniversary ep or one that was self contained (as the 20th ep was--the 25th, 30 and 35th ones weren't with some scenes continuing the overall story)

I get your disappointment though I disagree--I didn't expect the concept to work this well or frankly anything this good from the current regime and like Cheap said, IMHO it was better than the OLTL or GH (by far) 40ths. Maybe that's taking what I can get, but... That said you're not a regular viewer are you? Not to sound TOO patronizing, :P but the other people on here who have most disliked the anniversary ep, ironically have been people who have admitted to not watching much at least recently.

• Members

I want a volume two of the coffee table book (even if half the stories are barely worth revisiting lol).

I agree precisely with what you said, down to not being too pleased to see some characters there but since they are contract roles I get why they were there. As was said elsewhere in the age of youtube clips episodes don't hold as much lustre, either.

• Members

I haven't been Prattinized, and I loved the hour.

Like what's been echoed, the show came off as something for long-time fans and newer fans who are very familiar with the show's history (me!). I didn't need to see full clips of anything because, for me, just seeing the brief glimpses and hearing the characters talk about certain things brought up everything I knew and appreciated about the original storylines. For example, I didn't need to see Myrtle clips to get a little teary-eyed when people talked about her. And I didn't have to see full clips of Opal at the Glam or the Chicken Shack to get a little smile on my face when it was mentioned. Of course, YMMV. I can understand why one would be disappointed with it.

Something that I really liked was how every single era of the show really as touched on, even the not-so-good eras, because it was a celebration of 40 years, not just 30 good years or 25 good years. I liked seeing early Krystal clips and early Greenlee clips. Yes, I know, I'm alone on that lol. But really, OLTL's anniversary "tribute" was basically lame knock-off storylines, showing a snatch of the original opening credits for a day, and bringing back some fan faves for said lame knock-off storylines. The first ten years of the show were completely ignored, aside from the original opening.

• Members

I agree AMS, the mere mention of people and places can be very evocative. Just hearing the name "Mona" brings a flood of stuff back, I don't need to see Erica barreling into Dr. Tyler's office sending Mona into a tizzy for the umpteenth time. Any fan for the last twenty years will tell you that you begin to see the same clips over and over again, I mean, if they aren't going to break out some new stuff, why bother? And if it's a history lesson you're looking for, well there's always YouTube.

quartermainefan, I know there are tons of "new" old clips that I'd love to see, but I've come to rely on people like HamiltonBernique over at YouTube for that classic material.

• Members

I love how people who think this episode is awful basically keep singing the same song -- about wanting this to be a clip show. Yeah, let's watch Erica and the Bear for the 1,000th.

Either that, or wanting eight characters who have been gone for years to all of a sudden drop in mid-story, give a whole bunch of expository dialogue about their lives off camera that we'll never get to see, and then leave because the actors have no desire to stay past their guest appearance. Only to have people still complain in the end, "they should put James Mitchell back on contract! Those idiots!"

This was an episode with characters, past and present, celebrating the unsung, resilient main character of them all -- Pine Valley. And some of you are gonna sit up here and imply I don't know good soap opera because I enjoyed that over some redundant clip show? Oh, sit down! <_<

• Members

I just watched it and I'm not sure how I feel. On the one hand, I LOVE the interviews. They were great. On the other hand, there was a lot of talking and not much flashback-ing. I think they could've tweaked it by cutting out the redundant segments of the current cast members that are irrelevant to the 40-year history (Marissa, Randi, Krystal even) and shown more clips. I didn't like seeing clips from the past five years primarily. I didn't think we'd see Marcy's Liza, but it's sad we didn't even get mentions of Liza's history aside from her marriage to Adam. They could've at least mentioned the triangle with Marian (who was also exempt aside from one picture). In general, they did a good job with balancing past characters with present, but I think if there were more past cast members stopping in, we'd have gotten more out of it. I applaud them for doing a wonderful job with what they had to work with though. Kelly Ripa did a phenomenal job. :)

• Members

I agree. MC was surprisingly really good.

laRue is easily one of AMC's best they have ever had. I loved seeing her again.

When she said Jen-nay the first thing i thought about was forrest gump, lol!

I had the same reaction about naomi/opal when i first found out

I think the point of this was to celebrate the history and the anniversey, do something and try something new besides another damn clip show (hello, in the day of youtube clip shows are pointless IMHO) and to maybe show people who are tuning in again some of whats going on. And JR & Babe were hardly featured more than anyone else.

IDK, have you seen morning talk show openings and titles cards? damn most of them are awful (yes im looking at you, The View)

Maybe its just some people enjoying the episode. Shocking, i know, but very possible.. No?

Gosh, i am kinda in love with you!

And soap gods please help me.. because... i... well... i like rygrannie.

Archived