AMC: Tuesday, January 5, 2010

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There is just something so special about a humorous character like DL's Opal, just lightyears away from a "funny" :rolleyes: snark pot like Rex on OLTL.

Carl, I'm thinking about that Opal for mayor clip you showed me! :lol: (above)

• Members

LOL! This clip. The one thing I never understood about this show is that they make it seem like nurses were just minimum wage workers. Even when Gloria Marsh was on, she would always say, "I can't afford that on a nurse's salary." Nurses make a damn good living, it's hard work, but good cash.

• Members

That's not true, is it? So they had to pay to show Cliff, for example even though he wasn't on the show, etc but felt paying Alexa was too much?? I thought it was just the same reason they cut aroudn all clips of Mary as Ruth (which made me sad) and the other original cast members--I'm of two minds of it, would love to see more clips and images of the previous Liza, Ruth, even JR, etc, but I get why they don't

• Members

OMG! Naomi from Mama's Family was the original Opal? I never knew this.

As for today's show...

I like the concept but it was wayyyyy too heavy on current stuff for my liking (and this is coming from someone who has only semi-regularly watched this show since 2007). I want to see clips of Greg and Jenny and Cliff and Nina and all the classic characters that I've only read and heard about but never watched when they were around PV. Or even just more classic clips of people still on the show like Erica and Tad and Jesse and Angie and Adam. I mean for a 40th anniversary show I just felt like Erica wasn't on that much at all. In fact, it seemed like the two people that were featured more than anybody on this were JR and Babe(!!!) which was just kind of mindboggling to me. I mean, JR at least has been on for a while and is the spawn of some popular characters but the Babe they used was a recast only on four a few months. It was just a ridiculous. And then forcing JR and Marissa on us? Ugh.

The last thing that really bugged was the shoddy production values for all the title cards when Hayley came on to introduce a segment. What was the point of putting together the doc as if it was a school presentation put together on Windows Moviemaker? Isn't Hayley supposed to be someone professional talk show host? You'd think she could get some better production values and graphics... especially ones that don't include Lucida Calligraphy. This was a documentary, not a [!@#$%^&*] wedding invitation, Hayley!

• Members

Howabout compared to other anniversaries recently onother soaps--OLTL's with virtually no images from the past for example? I get your complaint and you admit you don't currently watch, but I also think in a way you weren't the audience--I get why, especially with the move, they wanted to live as much in the present and future as the past, and while a part of me is mixed on that I understand the reasoning for it and appreciated how they mixed it.

Well yeah but it also was much easier to do after "only" 20 years to focus on (so that even the characters from the 70s were fairly well known to all viewers), four original cast members on and healthy, etc. It also was, I've read, the first soap anniversary ep *ever* so...

• Members

It would have been better to have Ruth cry about Phil's death in 79 or something :P Honestly I liked Josh as a character and since they DID do the unabortion I wanted him kept around--hated his death with a passion and how it was handled but at this point, we had some good scenes with Erica grieving when he died and I'm fine with them basically forgetting it especially for shows like this. "And then there's Josh the son I thougth I had aborted who came back with his dad obsessed with me and then my beloved Kendall's husband gunned him down and gave his heart to her". Doesn't really work.

Archived