AMC: Tuesday, January 5, 2010

• Members

I wish we could get a clip show too, as well as this, but that said this WAS NOT a clip show (sorry to yell :P ). So having a different Ruth, by their rationale, would make no sense--I get it. (and more annoyingly in the past they have gone out of their way to do the same in actual clip shows--they don't show the earlier cast actor even fi they're more identified with the role--thankfully for AMC's 30th Mary F managed to come back so they could show her clips)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry for all those random replies, that's what happens when I work late, watch the episode late and come to the thread late :P

My own basic thoughts--I really loved it overall. I agree with others that the documentary concept and execution was done MUCH better than I expected. I do get Quartermaine's disappointment about an actual real clips episode (although I found the 35th pretty disappointing in terms of clips anyway, so...) but I think a valid poitn was raised that in the days of youtube we've all seen, or can see, most of the clips they would have chosen anyway, if not much more. Back when the 25th anniversary aired (I didn't start watching till a year after the 20th) there was no internet, and besides reading some old soap books, next to no way of seeing images or anything from the past. So to see clips was *amazing* to me--mind blowing almost as a fan who had wondered about the history. That has all VASTLY changed in the 15 years since then.

Similarly I am disappointed some past characters (and even some returning characters--we saw Nina for all of 20 seconds it seemed) were glossed over and we got so much Babe, etc, but I *get* it. They wanted to focus on the present and the future and it fit the concept. Overall I don't think it was too much to really offend a long time fan like me and certainly has been better than some anniversaries (I can think of several at OLTL) that are almost all about the present cast. As I said I also hated how we got no vintage Liza, no vintage (classic) Ruth, etc, but within the concept I get why they did it that way (though I think they could have gotten away with sneaking them in).

I LOVED seeing so many of the classic exteriors that they used to use--a couple I couldn't identify and am curious about. Am I WAY too optimistic and hopeful of a Brooke fan to think her wink meant something?

I WISH this was backed up with a proper marathon of classic episodes on SoapNet (or a DVD!) or something. But I know as a soap fan in 2010 that's hard to hope for--overall REALLY pleased and like Steve and others said it has me all the more optimistic for what's to come.

• Members

Mary will obviously never be back. It's too sad to even think about, but the most we can hope for is a lovely little montage like Clint Ritchie got when he passed away. :( It just goes to show how much things have changed in the world of soaps. In this day and age, a Ruth recast would have never happened. Ruth would have been off with Langley on an open-ended archaeological dig. It's a shame that SoapNet no longer has any sort of interview program because a nice little visit with MF at her home in the Carolinas would have been a lovely touch at this 40th anniversary mark.

• Members

It's not that simple. Shows, no matter what genre, always, always, always have to get clearance to use an actors image in clips on a new episode if they are no longer under contract. Does it always mean they have to pay? No. But do they need permission? Always. I'm sure you know this, but I'm just saying in case there are others out there who are thinking AMC was exercising some deep rooted resentment over Alexa Havins. I, for one, keep forgetting Amanda Baker was Babe because I didn't watch most of her run since B&E were writing -- and I was "on hiatus."

• Members

I have always wondered about this. It is like that all tale that writers get paid for characters they create. Logically, i am like no way, but then i am also like.. maybe? (Thats been shot down by every writer ever asked, i believe). Suzanne Rogers did an interview, wish i had the link, talking about how the show had to get the OK to show images and flashbacks of her and John Clarke. I find it kind of odd, because even tho actors gone are no long on contract, you would think since the images/clips belong to the show they could use them whenever they wanted.

• Members

Yeah, I wonder of instances where writers of a soap have gotten paid for their characters still on the canvas. I know in other cases if you, say bring a character from a movie onto a tv show the creator gets credit and apparently some financing, but as yous ay Jack every soap writer asked about this has basically said they've never been paid for anyone.

As R Sinclair says with images it's more complex (certainly I doubt they have to ask the estate of Ruth Warrick for clips with her) although I think the more basic reason Alexa wasn't shown was they decided Amanda was the most recent Babe, the one they hadimagesof her dieing cuz of the tornado, so they'd just use her.

• Members

They have the rights to their likeness for that specific, contracted episode. Once no longer on contract, the show has no rights to that actor's image or likeness and need permission to use it in new episodes. Even if it's a flashback or clip of footage the show owns, it's being used in a new episode which means a new agreement needs to be arranged.

It's like the whole Constance McCashin situation when Knots Landing did their reunion special five years ago. They showed a clip where her face was blurred out because the money they wanted to give McCashin wasn't to her liking, so she didn't let them use her image.

Hypothetically, if Alexa Havins is going through her Brady Bunch Kids moment and doesn't want to be associated with All My Children, if they went ahead and used her image in this episode anyway... LAWSUIT!

It's no secret I'm involved in the performing arts and I've had to sign numerous releases, because I was simply in the same room with a rolling camera of a professional nature.

• Members

I have trouble believing that. I have a LOT of trouble believing that. Unless it's contractually agreed that any and all characters the writer creates while at the show belong solely to the show/company...

No, I changed my mind. The snubbing was totally personal.

• Members

I expected more when I saw people raving about this garbage. What a waste of everyones talents! Why waste time on Marissa and Not!Liza when Marissa is brand new and you can't show any clips with that Liza? What purpose did they serve? I also hated the format of everyone sitting around, disconnected, with no sound clips and pictures. Boring. I understand people were filmed in LA and NYC and on different dates, but surely they could've worked things out where you could group people together and have some real scenes to move forward the plot. Considering that's it I thought it was terrible.

Monday's episode was a nice starter if it were just Hayley's return for some charity benefit which could bring everyone else together. Considering nothing came out of it, it wasn't enough. I especially would've loved seeing Brooke interacting with people like Adam and Erica. With the show in LA we may never see her again, so I feel robbed. They had to pay these actors and I feel like they wasted their money.

Hopefully the entire year is a return to form and we can look at the entire year as a tribute. I think thats the best way to celebrate a soap anniversary. Bring back a couple major characters, acknowledge your core families and explore history. That doesn't mean re-writing or bringing in long lost children, but just acknowledge the past while moving forward. Hopefully that's what the temp and permanent HW have planned.

First anniversary episode for any soap? I know As the World Turns celebrated Chris and Nancy Hughes 50th wedding anniversary for the show's 25 or 30th. It was a big celebration that lasted a week or two maybe. I'm sure by that point Ryan's Hope or Guiding Light or even DAYS had probably done something at some point.

On the subject of images with recasts and what not, I feel like if you're acknowledging the history of the show, then acknowledge the actors. Viewers aren't dumb and know roles were recast. I think we can handle it. Also, didn't they show a flashback of old Mary with Joe? I doubt many newer viewers would notice honestly. Had they shown clips of Marcy Walker as Liza while acknowledging that it is Liza, viewers would understand. I loved when OLTL had the flashback of Asian!Blair.

• Members

I thought Joe was with Tara.

Casting an actress who is a fair bit younger than Marcy Walker AND heavily rewriting the character makes it much more difficult for them to acknowledge Liza's past in more than somewhat generic terms (hey, remember when she used to go to high school with Tad and so on). It would be like if Edge of Night had not only recast Nicole with a younger actress, but also turned Nicole into some sort of slightly unbalanced lawyer whose intro to the show suggested she can't control her lower half.

I wonder if a charity benefit would have meant even more time spent eulogizing Greenlee and Babe. I was kind of glad that some characters, like Brooke, got to talk about their past without it being used as some sort of prop for the present.

• Members

OMG! Opal's politically incorrect mayor promo is the best!

To short woman holding a pug: "I love to see a short person with a dog"

To pale chubby guy with red hair: "You look Irish but I'm not gonna hold it against ya"

To black guy: "Hey there, big fella! You'll never have to worry about your food stamps if you put me in office!"

To Asian guy: "Hey, man. I love chop suey!"

:lol: bwahaha!

Go All the Way with Opal!

• Members

AMC has done clip-filled special anniversary episodes marking the 20th, 25th, 30th, and 35th year marks, not to mention a 10,000th episode special. Nothing will top the daytime 20th anniversary episode starring the remaining original cast members, or the week-long 25th anniversary episodes AND primetime special hosted by Carol Burnett (and release of a coffee table book), AMC's ultimate anniversary experience where they brought back everybody and their brother and showed a million classic clips. Longtime fans have been spoiled, we've gotten our clips, yesterday's episode still gets my thumbs up for trying something a little different, why should they do the same old brand of clip show everytime? And seeing as how much of AMC's more recent history is hardly worth mining for clips, I was satisfied with how it turned out. Yes, there are characters currently on the canvas who I could care less about, but if they are on contract, I get it and can bear through it.

I know, right! :lol: I love that AMC was able to get away with all that, the audience understood Opal so they knew not to take her too seriously.

• Members

Okay I just got around to watching. (Thanks Hulu!)

I liked it a lot. Of course we all have people we'd have like to have seen or had mentioned. It would've been nice to see Reggie since we got all the rest of the Kane/Montgomerys. Try as they might they cannot make me forget he existed.

Maria breaking down at Julia's loss. Sweet Jeebus! It made me remember when I liked the character of Maria and how ELR used to really bring it. Ditto to Adam not being able to talk about Stuart.

And this is the first time I've watched AMC since Ryan/Erica got together. I physically shuddered. Ick! Just ick! End that mess.

I'm shocked to see that Denise Vasi is still employed. Well and truly shocked.

Archived