Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I didn't like Simms when I saw her, because Tesreau was the only Mindy I knew and it was such a different character and she was kinda green early on. But Simms quickly won me over and I just loved her. Very sad she faded away from soaps after that. Why on earth wasn't she cast as Vicky on AW? God we got blah Jensen Buchanan instead.

I couldn't even imagine Tesreau's Mindy having sex with Roger Thorpe.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Simms and Beverlee McKinsey were fire together as adversaries. To this day, the story with Roger and Alex remains Mindy’s signature story, IMO.

Simms brought a sex appeal to the role that Tesreau would never have. But she was also very vulnerable and had chemistry with all the principal actors they wrote her with.

• Members

When Tesreau was playing Mindy in the 80s, did her Mindy have many scenes with Alex?  I do recall one scene when Spaulding/Lewis were fighting.. and Alex was concerned about Mindy.. but I don't recall any other scenes.  I do know when Simms played Mindy.. her and Alex had numerous scenes right before and during the affair with Roger.

I do recall Simms came in to finish the Will Jefferies story, plus play out the end of her/Rusty's connection... but for several months it seemed like the show didn't know what to do with her.  I recall Beth tried fixing her up with Neil, even her going as Daniel St. John's plus one to a few events while Rick was jealous.. but nothing popped for Simm's Mindy until the Roger affair.

• Members

I appreciate KT’s original Mindy.  But Kimberly Simms grew that character up, and was a pretty great recast.  She is the definitive version for me too.

I love when a recast works, but is different and it helps add new dimension to a character.

I think Beth Chamberlin only really made Beth her own when they made her more shady when she came back in the late 1990’s.  Even though I have mostly watched pre1997 GL on YouTube, it’s hard for me to not see Judi Evans as the definitive Beth.

• Members

This sound like a really good lineup.

I'd love if Locher could get Rachel Miner and Ellen Parker sometime down the road but for now, it will be good to hear from these folks. Anticipating hearing Clarke play the raconteur about Billy and Vanessa's storylines. Should be good.

• Members

+1

I was thinking the same about AW stars. Sandra Ferguson Robinson should have connections to them, no? And she's been active in the "community" because of The Bay. Same for Taylor Stanley. 

Really looking forward to hearing from Maeve, Jordan, Bryan and Gina. Should be a good lineup. Oh Kurt, too but eh, lol (I do like him though). Matt was boring and had more fire with Dinah. I never really saw chemistry between Matt and Vanessa, personally. And Matt suffered from the 90s shouting man syndrome. Terrible writing when he was putting Vanessa down for daring to be a successful business woman. Anywho, I digress.

• Members

Jordan isn't listed on YouTube as a guest. I just think that perhaps Alan just tried to find a recent picture of Bryan Buffinton and Maeve Kinkead together. But I wish he would make an appearance too since it is basically a Lewis family reunion. Maybe Melissa Hayden can be the fifth guest? 

I wouldn't mind if one of the next reunions will be a Bauer family one, with Peter Simon, Ellen Parker, and Rachel Miner. 

• Members

I started watching GL when I was in high school around May 2003 and fell in love with the characters and soap operas in general. I watched every day until 2006 when I went off to college and then followed on and off until around 2008 I believe but even in those days it was more challenging to follow along like you can now with streaming services, on demand and on the channel websites. I was sad when GL went off the air, but I wasn't really watching much in those days. I remember there being a transition in the way the show looked because of the filming technique or equipment towards the end of its run. 

I noticed that there are near complete yearly runs of the soap from the late 90s. I know it wasnt the peak of popularity and maybe perhaps storytelling for GL, but which year in the late 90s would you recommend for watching? 

Also, what was the real public and critical reception of the clone storyline?