Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

One thing that’s striking about dialogue for all soaps from the late ‘70s is how thoughtful the characters are about their lives. They speak more openly about what they want or like (in a partner, in a job, in a family) in more specific but also more all-encompassing ways. Like some of Diane Ballard’s 1979 dialogue is very interesting and reflective, like that of a Shakespearean villain.

I contrast this with something like modern-day DAYS where sometimes it just feels like dialogue is either zinger-focused, bland platitudes about “love,” or a battering ram to move plot forward.

Edited by Costello

• Members

Denise Pence did a few of these a few years ago and I guess decided to finish the series...and talks about her exit from the show along with life after soaps. She also includes her last scene as Katie. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Pence looks great and I forgot what a knockout she was in the 80s. I can't believe they didnt use her more as a second tier supporting character... What a weird year 85 was it was the start of a bad change for GL...Katie, Nola, Quint Bea, Tony Annabelle  Josh all written out (some actors left by choice, others didnt) .recasts for Ed and Phillip and eventually Mo..Charita's death..too much change too fast...bad time.

• Members

In my opinion, the damage had already begun the prior year, 1984. Oddly enough, the show seemed to spiral out of control the moment it hit #1. Gail Kobe, for whatever reason, had already let go of long-time favorites Tom O'Rourke (Justin) and Elvira Roussell (Hope), then continued the purge with Don Stewart (Mike) and Marsha Clark (Hillary) in 1984 before the biggest purge in 1985. As stated above, some of the actors left by choice, others did not (O'Rourke, Roussell, Stewart, Clark). I agree with @Khan - I think most of this was due to Gail versus Pam Long. Long's writing was strongest when characters simply interacted, versus trying to do things like "The Dreaming Death", "Susan Piper/Barbados" and the Largo organization.

Denise Pence was fantastic on TGL (I'm biased because I had a crush on her as a kid). I have a feeling that if the Dobsons (who created Katie and Floyd) had stayed with the show past 1979, they would have eventually introduced Katie's parents, further solidifying her in Springfield.

• Members

I, too, believe it was Kobe behind the cast changes. Long had introduced Jim Reardon with the intention that he would be part of a love triangle with Hillary and Katie. I remember that being touted in the soap press. But the story never came to pass. I would have hated to see friction between Hillary and Katie over a man, but was disappointed when Hillary and then Katie were both dropped from the show.

• 2 weeks later...