Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Stepping back into Springfield this morning, and I am unfortunately picking up at April 23, 1997, which happens to be Michael Zaslow's final episode. You can tell, despite what he was dealing with and the unfortunate news he was given, he was giving his ALL to bring Roger to life. Shame it was his final appearance.

• Members

What were some of the controversial backstage events at GL over the years?

Offhand I can name

Michael Zaslow firing

Jane Eliot dismissal

Kim Zimmer's refusal to renegotiate her contract to assist budget cuts

Beverlee McKinsey's departure

Mart Hulswit being replaced

Can others add to the list?

Here's an article dealing with Jane's dismissal.

Guiding Light' producer won't renew Carrie's contract Hirsch Field Syndicate July 8 1982

Allen Potter, the urbane, triple-Emmy-winning producer of "GuidingLight" has been reading all the reports concerning the imminent departure of that program's JaneEliot who plays Carrie. He  does not wish to do battle but merely set viewers' ease by telling the other side of the  story.  Regarding the issue of Jane's departure: not axed. When we went into negotiations it was for a year's contract only. As the end of that year drew closer it was obvious from the way the Carrie storyline was being written that the character was being terminated. I spoke with Doug Marland, the show's head writer, a few months earlier, and he said he had an alternative story which would have Carrie develop a third personality. "I felt that the story had been done. At no time was Carrie's storyline about her per se, but it was really about her effect on those around her and those who loved her. To me, seeing Carrie's evolvement  would not have been a great storyline, although it would have been feasible and I know as a writer Doug Marland could have handled it. "Jane felt that as her contract time ran short she should have been called into the office by me and told. Maybe so, but I felt she knew when her contract was coming to an end- she negotiated it - and seeing how the story was going, didn't need to be notified. At that point I felt it would have been stating the obvious. Perhaps I should have spoken with her and said, 'By the way, your contract's up in a month.' I didn't. It was not meant as a slight in any way. Other actors have had their contracts come to a close and have not been called into the office." In a previous column we mentioned the possibility that the cut of Elliot may have been due to budget. Potter says not true. "Procter and Gamble is not pinch-pennying on 'Guiding Light.' I was just told last week by the powers that be that any money needed for storyline or location will be given to the show." Potter also spoke to the possibility of further cast cuts "We have begun a 13-week cycle, and none of our stars has been let go. Janet Grey, who plays Eve, has just signed a new contract. Every cast member who is part of the show will remain with the show through this cycle and the foreseeable future." Potter's main concern is that neither cast nor viewer feels that "Guiding Light" will be sending tons of characters to the hinterlands. One rumor that Potter is trying hard to squelch through the press and by sending memos to the cast concerns Doug Marland's leaving the show. According to Potter, "Doug is still doing breakdowns for the show, he is under contract and will continue to remain the 'Guiding Light' head writer in the foreseeable future. 'However. Procter & Gamble and Doug have decided to explore the expansion of Doug's considerable talents in the area of consultant to other P & G soaps while he continues as head writer of 'Guiding Light.'" This is not an uncommon practice, since Agnes Nixon often toiled as consultant to ABC's soaps while exercising control over "All My Children." As for Jane Elliot, she considered staying in New York since her husband Luis was working as a cameraman for "All My Children." but the duo decided to pack their bags and head home to Los Angeles. And in the future for "Guiding Light," Potter promises and will certainly deliver if last year is an indication exciting storylines, sleek production and a socko cast.

• Members

It's great to finally hear Potter's side of the story. I really didn't care too much for Carrie, she was boring to me minus her other personality killing Diane and I believe Joe. I also don't care about Marland being angry with the way he felt Elliott was treated, especially hearing about his disrespect for Hulswit, my favorite Ed Bauer