Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Simon is a really good actor, and agreed, he is just soooo DOUR which as was pointed out a change from Mart's Ed who was sunny, and had the Charita Bauer earthy thing about him. He looks way more like he would be MOL'd dad, and it is sad about MOL...who also had that happy big brother ready to help thing, but later on he always tried to be a "dramatic," actor and failed and relied on goofball material. It didnt help that the writers could not see that a nice uncomplicated cute guy could be viable in a soap world.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Peter Simon was the only Ed I knew when I started watching, but having since seen Mart in the role, holy cow what a big difference. Hulswit was fantastic

Please register in order to view this content

and totally believable as Charita Bauer's/Bert's on-screen son. Simon can be too dour. He can also give great performances but you can also see on-screen when he's dead in the eyes and checked out ...

• Members

Was Simon's interpretation of Ed Bauer dour before Maureen was killed off? It seems as though writers cast Simon to be the "heavy", as if this is what they expected from a patriarch on a soap.  The irony is that, in the long run, Ed didn't become anything close to a patriarch, mainly a man who would engage in emotional self-flagellation and wring his hands about what could have been in his life, in regards to his failed relationships.

Was Michael O'Leary being cast because of a resemblance to Mart Hulswit? Without even looking at pictures, I'm seeing a resemblance in my mind's eye.

• Members

I do - thank you for posting this, @DRW50 - there's no Mike, but it still has a majority of my favorites in it.

@Mitch - good question. I can't remember either why Brandon initially left his stock to Amanda. @vetsoapfan - do you remember at all? 

And I will wholeheartedly agree with all of you - in my opinion, the best Ed Bauer was Hulswit. He had warmth that Peter Simon never had, yet still had the temper that Robert Gentry had before him. Plus, Hulswit looked like Michael O'Leary's father 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by zanereed

• Members

Did any of you see his work on SFT? None of his time on that show seems to have popped up online. I don't know what his character was like on SFT, but maybe falling in love with and marrying his TV wife in real life (they're still married today!) added something to his work there.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

I think Simon has his own money and didn't need the soap work..so he was less tolerant then other actors of..well, probably everything. I wonder if he is the vet in Tina Sloan's book who got out of his contract early cause of the way they were pushing all vets aside.  I know he really, really fought the "Michelle slap" and I agree with him. I do have to say, some of his demands were a bit off...(I actually think Nola and Ed could have worked if written correctly, but still think Nadine would have been good with Ed, give him a zip and he could bring her down to earth. )

I never understood when Simon left in 96 they didn't recast Mike? He could have had a wife who could be a new Bauer matriarch...(but I still wanted to see him with Alex..though Dusay in a love scene would scare the HELL out of me...)

I just don't understand Marland's feeling that Simon was sexier then MH as that was not the case..(I think Marland had a thing against..."bigger" guys who wernt muscle boys.

• Members

I know he was briefly on ATWT and Courtney Simon was a recurring character on the show but I don't know whether their characters ever intersected. Courtney Simon was also on the writing staff but I don't remember how early she started or whether Peter was already on GL by then.

• Members

I definitely remember her in Margo's miscarriage storyline which was in '86. According to IMDB she was on the writing staff in '84.

I always get Dr. Michaels and Dr. Samuels mixed up.  Apparently IMDB claims that she played both roles?  This is probably the reason why I got confused.  I do remember another actress playing Dr. Michaels at some point though. 

• Members

@DRW50, @DramatistDreamer, @Paul Raven

From what @Brolden and I have compared notes, 

Dr. Lynn Michaels   Oakdale's favorite psychiatrist
                                Kaiulani Lee       (temporary)  1989-1990
                                Barbara March    1988   (temporary)
                               Beth McDonald      1997
                               Courtney Simon   1985-05  on and off

Dr. Audrey Samuels       Donna Mitchell   1986       OB/GYN
                                       Maureen Anderman    1986
                                       Maggie Burke    1986-1996
                                      Elaine Bromka     1996-2003?   occ.

This is what we've estimated for both characters on ATWT.
Edited by slick jones