Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Looks like it was Yates’ decision to leave.  He came back in January 1982, and Janet Grey was written out with him.  I do remember Ben and Eve reconciling.  Eve wasn’t doing much around this time except working in the book store.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I don't get that either. I can see the comparison to the Another Life credits, but OLTL's at this point were just a bird flying and a sunrise (I love those credits but they were nothing similar to GL's).

Thanks for the articles, @jam6242. I was sure Eve was around longer than that - didn't she have some involvement in the Carrie saga? Weird.

• Members

Wasn't the comparison GL vAL and SFT v OLTL?

Over his tenure Marland slowly dropped a lot of the Dobson's characters.

Elizabeth, Rita, Holly, Lucille, Diane, Roger, Sara, Steve, Adam, Barbara.

Some of these were the actor's choice or network dictates.

He did have a dilemma with some of the older characters as Barbara, Steve and Adam had no family left on the show so it was difficult to include them and they were probably drawing hefty salaries due to vet status. Marland would probably been happy to weave them in somehow but was overruled.

But he kept Alan, Hope, Ben,Amanda, Jackie, Eve, Ross in the mix so the show didn't seem overrun with newbies.

The big mistake was dropping Mike, Hope, Ben, Amanda, Hilary, Floyd,Eve, Katie, Morgan, Kelly etc fairly suddenly and turning the show over to Reva, etc.

Marland had set up the Reardons as the complimentary long term family to the Bauers but they began dropping like flies also.

And the succeeding teams then began chipping away at those newish characters and those from previous regimes until there was mismash of chracters and fragmented families.

• Members

Eve was definitely around longer. I started watching in April 1982 and she was still there. She was even around in June 1983 during Nola and Quint’s engagement party. I recall a scene with her and Phillip. The character vanished around that time. 

The comparison of GL to Another Life doesn’t make sense. AL premiered in 1981 and had opening credits similar to OLTL and what SFT had. Makes me wonder if GL has another opening planned but it was scrapped.

• Members

AL premiered in June 1981. Its original opening credits were very similar to what we saw on SFT's revamped credits: birds flying over the ocean and an image of the sun. At that time, OLTL also had credits with images of birds flying in the sky and the sun. The quick shots AL opening premiered around episode 210, so sometime around March 1982.

Eve was definitely around in July 1982 when Jackie died in the plane crash. There are scenes online of her with Maureen, Ross, and Justin in Justin's living room discussing Jackie's death. And Janet Grey's name appears in closing credits for an April 1983 episode where Rebecca and Mark fell off a cliff. Carolyn DeMoney Culliton, Richard Culliton, and Gary Tomlin were credited as head writers in that episode.

• Members

Yes, I remember that she did now that you mentioned it.  Carrie somehow arranged for Eve to find Carrie's earring in Justin's bed and Eve told Jackie about it.  Jackie left town shortly after that.  I know Eve was around when Jackie's plane crashed, so Janet must have returned for a while.

• Members

I just watched the Blackout storyline on YouTube.

What a great set of culminations and jumping off of new storylines.  Lots of what if’s as I watch.

What if Sherry Stringfield had stayed?  Would Blake have kept her edge?

Was there a possibility that Maureen and Roger could have had an affair or become a couple, especially if she had survived the accident?

I do have to laugh that in these circumstances they managed to find a way to get Dylan’s shirt mostly off.

If I were in charge in let’s say 1996 or so, I would have begged Kimberly Simms and Beverlee McKinsey to return to the show, and convinced Curlee to come back and bring the show back from the edge it was dangling/had slipped off of.

Vincent Irrizary was so hot back then.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

THAT would have been a great idea...especially with all the changes happening at once, with Mike, gone, Hillary killed off and Bert off canvas (they couldnt help that but they relied too much on Charita being there to say "See, the Bauers are still important to us.) An old face would have been great.

O'Rourke took to the hall playing bag pipes to protest, very funny.  That was too stupid to fire him right after the Phillip reveal...he had years and years of fighting with Alan and Alex...hmm. I could see him with BevAlex... I wonder what that was about. I would love a no holds barred interview with Long explaining that choice and dozens of others.

• Members

I feel vindicated reading the last couple of pages and all the mentions of how dour Simon is as Ed.  I’ve been watching a lot of the classic early 1990’s stuff this week, and he is really lifeless.  I just keep thinking why would Holly, Maureen and Lilian want this drip?  He’s dull and kind of a nasty passive aggressive jerk.  Sanctimonious, smug, and boring all in one. 

• Members

While Simon's Ed is my Ed., I do agree with this statement. 

I was just rewatching the Julie/Hart/Dylan/Bridget climax and how Ed scolded Bridget made me want to jump through the screen. He was so sanctimonious and smug while wagging his hypocritical finger at Bridget for calling out Julie for sleeping around. It irks my soul that the writers didn't have Bridget rip Ed a new one in that scene.