Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

MKA should be on a soap today!  I can really imagine her on a soap like Y&R.  With some decent writing, I could imagine she'd play well off of PB, EB, JW and the other soap vets, in particular.

Did you all know that the actress who played little Dori is prominent producer in animated T.V. shows? I think she started out doing V.O. for those shows before switching to the production side. 

• Members

Was the cancellation of the show prior to Phillip returning? I thought it was slightly after his return. 

Phillip should've gotten a medal for ridding us of Grady. 

I agree though that the dummy going over the cliff was hilarious and horrendous. I know the show has a shoestring budget but they could've filmed that so much better.

See I wanted crazed Phillip to be addressed b/c I wanted to see the fallout upon his return. As I've said before, I would've loved for Leah to give her godfather grief for ruining her parent's marriage. I would've loved for Dinah and Blake's kids to wreak havoc on Phillip's life too. It would've been interesting (too) to see Blake revert to early Blake and hop on the train destroy Phillip. While Phillip's exit was trash, his return would've at least provided tons of story if written correctly. And we're only scratching the surface as we haven't factored. in Harley and her kids, who I wanted to be recast after Beth Ehlers left chasing behind RPG on AMC

• Members

The Grady kill is hilarious..I wonder if its on You  Tube? Remember when Wheeler was trying to make Grady the new Jonathon...but even Jon was not that hideous or have a death on him? She was going around telling people that the "New Viewers," love him. Oh Ellie, Ellie, Ellie, there were no NEW viewers!

A take down of a sane Phillip would have been great with Blake and Dinah actually joining forces.  It would of course end with the reveal that Ross was alive...but what great fall out.   The end result would be something like Kyle comes back with Dinah and Blake and takes over Spaulding, the stress kills Alan (for real and for good)and in the surprise being that Amanda is really pulling the strings with her lover Kyle come in and take it all out from under them...setting up Phillip, Alan Michael and Amanda fighting with Alex acting as the Dowager Countess, referring and making smart remarks.

Of course, they would need a budget for that, I would not want to see the Spauldings squabbling at the Peapack Baseball Diamond.

And no, God no, no more Harley!

Edited by Mitch

• Members

I think that had Harley been recast and not spending all her time whimpering over Gus, it could've worked. Plus, if the town was going to be coming for Phillip (and Rick by default), it would've been interesting to see how Zach and Jude would be affected by it all. 

Ooo... and Amanda coming back with Alan Michael would've been juicy. All the Spauldings under one manor backstabbing one another to gain control of Spaulding would've been great. Seeing as they missed the opportunity to bring back Alan's child with Rita (with Gus), it would be interesting to see his other spawn pop up and throw a wrench in things. 

• Members

I see Amanda in the likeness of BevAlex...smart, savy, ruthless when needed...but with a heart. Battling the boys for dominance by pitting Phillip and AM at each other. Phillip trying to step into Alan's shoes and finding its not easy to be the Spaulding patriarch. and Alex taking Phillip's side against AM and Amanda and AM having his Bauer side finally coming out and being conflicted with the whole thing.

A Harley recast who wasnt whiney and shrill, I don't think I would recognize her..

• Members

But that might be a good thing--a recast that could've taken Harley in a different direction. Again, I would just want her to be on the canvas for her reaction to Phillip's return and being a sound board for her boys, who are reeling with the fact that both their fathers caused Ross' demise. 

All these what if scenarios just saddens me b/c it just shows how this show didn't need all that flash to restore itself to greatness. All GL (and ATWT too) needed was to rest on their rich history and character connections to bounce back. Sucks that the sh-tty writers, producers, network, and P&G didn't see that. 

• Members

Happy Birthday, The Guiding Light!

Today, in 1937....

Thank you for 45 great years of solid entertainment (from 1937 to 1982), and then another four or so more (1989 to 2003), which were an unexpected but welcome (if temporary, alas) rebirth.

49 out of 72 ain't really so bad.

The painfully atrocious years with clones and time travel and mobsters and a crappy foreign island will never diminish the light for die-hard fans!

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Right. At its core, TGL was intended to illuminate the human experience; to showcase community, family, perseverance in the face of adversity, and the fundamental hope of mankind...none of which will ever be irrelevant as long as people exist.

I would kill for a chance to reboot and head-write this show. (Although what fan does NOT have such a fantasy?)

Please register in order to view this content