Paul Raven

Guiding Light discussion thread

Speaking of Reva's homes, it still makes me shake my head a little that she actually called her mid/late '80s house "RevaBend." I remember some Holly fans, after she bought the place, calling it "HollyBend." 

12 hours ago, Neil Johnson said:

Yes, Josh and Reva's house had a living room (with the stairs and, I believe, a fireplace) AND a den/study.  Definitely two separate rooms. But after one of the big budget cuts, they moved the two sets together, as if they had always been one room.  The side of the set with the stairs (from the living room) was used, but was pushed together with the opposite side of the den/study set.  Not sure I am explaining it well, but maybe someone else remembers and can explain it more precisely.  They used this "combination" set only briefly and then they stopped using the entire set.  I guess Josh and Reva must have moved to a different house, or maybe they divorced and they both lived elsewhere.   

Thanks! Yes, I must be confused because they did combine the sets around early 2006, I think. I believe they got rid of the dining room portion at that point too.

Speaking of Holly’s home, parts of it became the kitchen in the updated Jessup farm house that Cassie and, later, Olivia lived in.

Robert Newman (Josh Lewis) was on the latest episode of the Soap Opera Digest Podcast. He talked about memories of Guiding Light. And what he is up to now.

Edited by Forever8

On 2/8/2020 at 10:08 PM, DRW50 said:

Speaking of Reva's homes, it still makes me shake my head a little that she actually called her mid/late '80s house "RevaBend." I remember some Holly fans, after she bought the place, calling it "HollyBend." 

LOL..that was because it was located at the bend of the river, but yea, it was weird..they didn't say, "I'm stopping by Reva's house to blackmail her.." it was..."I drove past REVABEND...and saw Alan's limo parked outside!!!"  It was like it was Southfork or something.

They had to get rid of the Lewis house as it was falling apart. That set had been around since the early 90s as Van and Billy's house and they didn't have the money  (the show) to maintain it.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:08 AM, EllenP said:

Thanks! Yes, I must be confused because they did combine the sets around early 2006, I think. I believe they got rid of the dining room portion at that point too.

Speaking of Holly’s home, parts of it became the kitchen in the updated Jessup farm house that Cassie and, later, Olivia lived in.

I know GL got bad.  But the Newman Ranch and Y&R is bad. It is a living room and so is the Chancellor mansion but I don't think they ever show it.  Sharon's cabin - you'd think she was a poor girl living in the mountains.  Mariah and Tessa - horrible apartment somewhere in Genoa City.  They don't even show Chancellor park anymore.  The sets are awful on these shows from what I've seen.  Then they are moving to hotels too just like they do when shows are going down.  They started years ago with Genoa City Athletic Club, then it's Society, and Phoenix and the coffee shop - Crimson Lights.  They're going downhill.  They don't even bother with extras.  

Edited by Fevuh

2 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

I do recall josh and Reva's late 80s house (after Revabend) ended up being Billy and Nadine's house in the early 90s...and didn't it than become the Vanessa's house?

It did, yes. I remember seeing some angry comments after an episode where Annie, Vanessa and Lillian were [!@#$%^&*] talking Reva, one to the effect of "and Vanessa is living in Reva's house!!"

I kind of like the idea of this promo, but Reva was too old at this point to be viable for this role...I did laugh at her unintentionally almost getting caught up in the blinds at the end.

On 2/11/2020 at 1:29 AM, DRW50 said:

Wow..I forgot how "pretty" Frank was back in the day.  He played a good normal guy but they never figured out he couldn't do the angst or angry young man thing. I remember he and Mindy being kinda sexy together..much better then annoying Rusty.

I wonder how Maeve would have worked with RR's Alan.  In the later years I would have killed off Matt and had Van in the Alex role..asserting her power at Spaulding.

2 hours ago, BetterForgotten said:

It’s almost bizarre to see Zimmer dressed and styled in a simplistic 70’s aesthetic.

It is, but right from the start she had the same verve and passion as Nola that was her trademark as Reva.