• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

25 years ago this month was Melina Kanakaredes' last episode and the start of a huge cast purge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM2muDPjyBA

From what I can recall, there were 10 contract cast members that were gone by the end of 1995: Jean Carol, Barbara Crampton, Hilary Edson, Scott Hoxby, Melina Kanakaredes, Kelly Neal, Rachel Miner, Monti Sharp, Eugene Troobnick, Marcy Walker. Of course the biggest changes that year were the EP change from JFP to Michael Laibson and Megan McTavish becoming the new head writer.

• Members

I never knew why they didn't just write Frank out at that point...he was so popular,? Frankie D was such a great actor.? What is wrong with writing popular couples out when one leaves..if the shows were so geared towards super couples instead of writing "characters" who happen to be in a relationship...both should go. The Eleni recast was bland and Frank as a character faded into the woodwork.

Post Long Curlee writers and producers, especially Rauch, never got that Reva was never a sex goddess, she was a passionate women with an unapologetic earthy sexuality and had a good heart but made really bad choices, Reva's main problem was that men (mostly Josh) just saw the sex part and not that she was real whole person.  She was not the Sex Godess that all men fell for as Rauch made her.

Edited by Mitch

• Members

Probably down to the Coopers still being a viable family at the time and the show already losing so many names. 

I do think the recast was a decent actress who had her moments, but they probably shouldn't have bothered. 

The exit of Eleni running off to California with some man was ludicrous. It would have been more believable if she'd just said she was tired of having to say "Frankie."

• Members
10 mar, 10:00

The historic Guiding Light daytime radio drama has been revived at the very beginning as Meta Bauer-White and her husband feud over the future of their son, Chuckie. SPONSORED BY WOOD DRAGON'S GARDEN! http://www.wooddragonsgarden.com/

The historic Guiding Light daytime radio drama has been revived at the very beginning as Meta Bauer-White and her husband feud over the future of their son, Chuckie.

SPONSORED BY WOOD DRAGON'S GARDEN!
http://www.wooddragonsgarden.com/

Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/user?u=29404316&fan_landing=true

Cast
Megan Klodnicki as Meta Bauer-White
Ezra Carey as Chuckie White
Sean Klodnicki as Ross Boling
A.J. Carey as Ted White

https://audioboom.com/posts/7525233-retro-static-radio-ep-8-the-guiding-light-camping-trip-pt-1

Edited by Aback

The last really good HW GL had. Way too much Buzzard. GL was still desperately trying to make Mindy & Nick into a big super couple. Too many of JFP's people in roles. Everything had a dark brownish hue. The only things i liked was Vanessa and Bridget. And David and Bridget's friendship. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Having Kat steal an ugly leprechaun figurine from a store as a reaction to racism made absolutely no sense to me but I applaud Nia Long for really trying to sell that limply written monologue.

Not sure that I believe that Jenna wouldn't know that putting raw eggs in a "cream" without a hint of preservative or refrigeration would spoil.

I did find myself liking Nadine without any rational explanation as to why, other than the skill and talent of Jean Carol and some empathetic writing.

There were still things to like about the show although, it was obvious how apparent a shift was in the presentation.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb but I actually think that Vincent Irizarry and Barbara Crampton had genuine chemistry here (I know, shocker!) and I kind of appreciate the fact that Nick is not really that likeable of a person because it would've been easy to characterize him as some charismatic prince and emerging scion of the Spaulding clan but, for whatever reason, TPTB decided not to go there.

And Julie as a vixen would've worked perfectly but we know the character won't be long for the canvas.

Edited by DramatistDreamer