GL: September Discussion

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's because she brought such energy to those roles, she filled them, yet she also remained human. I think her work as Naomi before they made Naomi into a moron for syndication was the best acting I've ever seen on a sitcom. She was phenomenal.

I have never seen her in a serious role (I don't remember her B&B run). I have seen some clips of her as Gwen Frame, who was VERY serious, and as you said, it didn't seem quite right.

I wish they'd given her a little more to do on GL.

• Members

Yeah, when she was on Generations she was almost boring, yet I feel like I wouldn't have had that reaction with any other actress in the role, I guess I just like my Dorothy served OTT. :P

Dorothy was/is good friends with Beverlee McKinsey and Robin Strasser, and I can totally see and love that! How great would it be to see her in some awesome role on OLTL where she got to play against Robin and Erika...

• Members

I think he's in today's show? I don't know.

I wish Trish had been there too. It's crazy that she introduced the Lewises yet she is the one they most often forget about. I was surprised they even brought her back a few times for HB's funeral and for the last Jeva wedding. I think they forget about her because she was the sane one in the family, the most sensible. Many soaps, including GL, over time forgot how important the sane person is in holding a family together.

• Members

True Trish and Mindy were my faves! when I was growing up Trish was already off the show but I read about her in the anniversary book, she was so pretty to me. I liked her affair with Alan and her Troubled marriage to Andy Norris. I wish I could have seen that!! I always wanted Diahann Carroll to join the cast as Victoria Spaulding, Alan and Alex's sister.......Never happened!

• Members

I also have never seen that much of Trish. I just saw some clips of her last years when she was one of the many Lewis women running around town in fur coats.

I'm glad they at least brought Mindy back some this year. I keep hoping she will say she's going to stay in Springfield, as it has always bothered me that she has been off the canvas for almost 15 years. When GL ends I at least want to know she'll be moving back home.

The Lewis women were in many ways even more fascinating than the men but the show slowly got rid of all of them, save Reva. Marah's gone, Mindy is usually not around, Vanessa was usually with Matt and Dinah. I'm glad that Mindy and Vanessa at least sort of came home in this last year.

Diahann Carroll would have been great as Victoria. I think Petronia Paley also would have been fab in that role, if they hadn't cast her as Vivian Grant.

• Members

OMG, I am over here LMFAO, thank you so much for sharing that!!

No she did not say that to that black man about food stamps! And "I love to see a short person with a dog!" WTF!? :lol: The way she smiled and froze for the camera, oh God, I can't... :lol:

• Members

That's funny, I was posting on WoST when they cast Joan Collins as Alex and I immediately said that they should bring on Diahann Carroll or Shirley Bassey as Victoria. Kim Hamilton played Victoria in the '80s, and though a very attractive lady, she has never been my favorite actress. She was also the original Helen Willis (Roxie Roker on The Jeffersons) in the All in the Family episode where Lionel gets engaged to Jenny.

• Members

I didn't know she was the original Helen Willis. The black Spauldings were one of GL's many sad letdowns for black characters. I know a lot of people don't care for Christina (I don't mind her) but even in this state, Christina and Remy and sometimes seen Mel constitute the most black presence on GL's canvas since the mid-90s. Even the Boudreauxs when first introduced usually just amounted to Mel, with her parents and Remy much less frequently seen.

I love the Opal video because it captures Dorothy Lyman's WTF version of Opal to a teed. I sure miss the wacky comedy soaps embraced in the 80s. Soaps stopped doing that when they decided to take themselves so very, very seriously.

• Members

So let me gets this straight, Wheeler has known since April 1st that this show would have it's last episode on September 18th and THIS is how she "ties" things up?

Billy & Vanessa and Buzz & Lillian got married and Alan died saving the love-of-his-life Phillip. Okay, those three things are fine but:

Ed & Holly got a total of three minutes of airtime in the final six weeks and are getting shoved off in an ending that had no setup and doesn't make any sense? We saw them interact with each other for 30 seconds four weeks ago and now they're gonna travel the world together out of the blue. Huh. Are we even gonna get to see Holly say goodbye to Blake?

Josh & Reva are apart despite their incredible chemistry, rapport, and history and Josh is leaving town altogether.

The Rapist & PsychoEddie are STILL torturing us with this ridiculous cat and mouse game on the second-to-last episode EVER. Really?

Blake is gonna get stuck with that boring loser Frank. Ugh. I'd honestly rather see her commit suicide so she could be with Ross than have her stuck with that clueless idiot.

Olivia & Natalia are together but only in the "BFFs who occasionally hold hands and headbutt" sort of way. God forbid they kiss or something, the Earth might fall off it's axis. :rolleyes:

Rick is totally alone, as usual. Oh they might tell us he's with Mindy in the flash-forward but by robbing us of the opportunity to actually see them fall in love again, who cares?

Dinah and Mallet are roaming around Europe, alone, and Dinah's a fugitive forever.

Cyrus and Marina are now trapped in ridiculously rushed, contrived, and shallow relationships with Mel and Shayne, who they have no chemistry with, rather than reuniting.

A short flicker of Fletcher is nice and all but why the hell wasn't he here weeks ago? Why did we have to watch four months of front-burner Rapist and M&M, who aren't even together anymore, rather than real interaction between Ed, Holly, Fletcher, Alex, Rick, and Mindy?

While I loved Phillip's proposal to Beth and her acceptance, my enthusiasm for it flew right out the window yesterday when Beth didn't offer a single word of comfort to Phillip for losing his father after he risked his life to save him but proceeded to selfishly mourn the man she despised as if he was everything to her. And what exactly was the point of SORASing Peyton just so we could not see Beth tell her anyway?

Marj Dusay was fantastic yesterday and today and the star of the show hands down but all her performances have really done is make me even more pissed at EW for reminding me how awesome Alex is and that she was wasted and ignored for years while we were stuck suffering through Gus, Jeffrey, Daisy, Rafe, and Grady.

Ugh.

• Members

You make some sound points, very, very strong points, RVD, although I do like Blake and Frank together. Or I would if Frank had his sense of humor and fun again. I miss that.

The Otalia writing and staging has been so ridiculously neutralized, it's actually quite shocking. I can't believe that even up to the start of this week you still had people like Beth going around saying, "Gosh, aren't they close," with no idea they're in a relationship. And why would you have an idea?

Archived