GL: September Discussion

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Liking the nods to history day 1 of the last week.

Nola referencing calling ahead to check and make sure her and Vanessa weren't wearing the same outfit AND Lillian going to Maureen's grave and apologizing and referencing that her death changed this town forever.

• Members

I almost teared up when I saw Bridget again. Such a special character, a young woman who was so sensitive and complex and nontraditional, only GL could have done her justice. Then Laibson/McTavish trashed her so badly to try to prop WM's Dinah, and she limped out of town. I'm glad they brought Bridget and Nola (another character trashed in that era) back, and Lisa and Melissa both look good. Goutman, bring Lisa BACK TO ATWT NOW, WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A CHANCE!!!!

Were they trying to say Quint and Nola are together again now?

Did anyone else think Lisa Brown adlibbed blowing a kiss as she left Company? The Reardons created Company, so that would be fitting if she wanted to say goodbye.

Did anyone else think Morgun Englund looks even hotter now than he did when he was on GL all those years ago? Immediately that awful recast was wiped from my mind. I was never a huge Dylan fan, but I was touched when Dylan and Bridget briefly hugged. Melissa and Morgun still have such good chemistry.

• Members

Today's episode was good (great location too!), but no matter how good this week is, it won't make up for the horrible three+ months we've just experienced. Unlike most soaps, they had a huge amount of time to wrap things up and did a terrible job of it. SO many months were wasted with Edmund and Jeffrey's Gotcha!Deaths, dull characters like Mallat and Marina and the horrible Phillip story. I feel like they should've wrapped things up like the murder mystery and move on. Mallat and Marina in particular didn't need much more story. Just tie it up and move on to Danny and Michelle so we can get a proper ending for that couple. Wrap up the story with Jeffrey so Josh and Reva can reunite and we can see it build for the final few months. Let us get a good strong dose of Nola (who should be with Quint who WANTED to come back), Ed, Holly, Bridget and Dylan. These people were a HUGE part of GL for so long. They deserved to have weeks of story in these final months. The writers focused too much on the current cast, even last bit of them, but only maybe half the cast is any good at this point. And when I say good I'm generally speaking of the vets and not the newbies.

Ugh. I just can't get over how disappointed I am. I know it's wrong, but I WAS excited to see the end of a soap just to see how they attempt to tie things up. I didn't even see them try here. I've seen the final weeks of Ryan's Hope, Search For Tomorrow and Port Charles and all three did better than GL with less time to prepare. Hell, Port Charles didn't even get to film a final episode but at least story wise the show was strong and had a vision. I can be happy knowing that had Port Charles continued, they had a good story for my favorite characters.

Ellen Wheeler is just something else. I would love the chance to speak my mind to her. I want her to know how much this show meant to so many people and how upset I am about what she did. GL didn't have to die and it certainly didn't have to die like this. The Conboy/Weston era showed that it IS possible to get ratings up. Even for GL with the multiple timeslots and some stations not airing it at all. I know the show wasn't that good then, but my point is that it's possible. You should never stop giving your all if you're being paid to do a job.

• Members

Chris, I hear what you're saying--I'm just not sure how practical it would have been for the show. I agree--the last few months have been practically aimless, and some of these "goodbyes" we've gotten are little more than a slap---geez, Holly spent more time talking to Olivia than her own daughter FCOL---but you've also got to honor the fans of the current characters who've stuck it out.

As for today---I was more than a little cheezed off the entire eppy wasn't focused on Billy and Vatnessa's wedding. It's bad enough their reconciliation was rushed through, but then to have to share it with Buzz and Lillian? GMAB. Y'know what I realized? I don't think Billy and Maureen (Vanessa and Matt's daughter) have ever spoken to each other. Couldn't we have gotten one scene where he took her aside and said how much he loved her mother?

After watching weepyEllen lament that "GL's been on the chopping block for fifteen years" on 60 Minutes, it struck me---she still doesn't get it. It's the writing that killed GL. All her protestations that she "had to do it with less" are passing the buck.

• Members

It was funny when Nola and Bridget showed up at Company and took a look around. Bridget says "the place looks good" and Nola relies that "it looked better when we owned it". Then she tells Buzz that they had to stop by to make sure he hadn't burned the place down. :lol::lol:

And somebody actually remembered that the father of Bridget's son was Blake's brother.

• Members

I heard them mention Hart---I don't recall anyone mentioning he was Blake's brother.

Oh, and did I see Christian LeBlanc there at the wedding as a guest? I didn't see Jeanne Cooper, but I had forgotten about that until I thought I saw him.

LOL...Nola's hat. It was very Nola. And floved the Nola/Vanessa moment.

• Members

LOL! I loved it! I never thought I'd ever see Nola or Bridget again, it was just nice seeing them there, no matter how little they got.

I've always thought Lisa Brown and Melissa Hayden looked SO MUCH alike. Really, Melissa could pass as Lisa's daughter. If Melissa didn't play Bridget, she would've been perfectly cast as Nola's daughter Stacey. Though Bridget was clearly the Nola of the show in the 90's.

Melissa Hayden hasn't aged one bit, she looks the same as when she left the show in 1997.

I'm glad Blake asked about Peter, though I was surprised Vanessa and Billy didn't ask Bridget about him.

Peter has so many connections to many different characters. I kind of wish they had recast the role the for these final few episodes, just to see him with Bridget, Blake, Vanessa, Billy, Ed, and the rest of the Lewis family.

But Bridget did mention she recently attended his orientation at Springfield University, so he hasn't been SORASED, he's aged in real time, and he's in Springfield!

So, Fletcher is back this week, were those two episodes Maureen Garrett appeared in a couple of weeks ago her ONLY episodes? So, I guess she won't be on this last week? :(

I kind of wanted to see Holly and Fletcher sort the Meg situation out. I also wanted to see Ed and Holly get a happy ending, together...

• Members

UGH!! I'm so distraught. I watched my tape of GL yesterday and then practically rushed over to the computer to join my SON buddies and--down! The site was down! I felt like a Peanuts character. AUUGH!

Since I'm late, I won't try to expand on the thoughts yesterday, only to agree with Michael's "simply amazing" and to shout out one of my favorite parts, which was when Rick asked Phillip how he (Rick) was looking and he replied with "You've never looked lovlier." LMFAO! The Rick/Phillip bromance continues to shine.

Now on to today... Another goodie. Even if Alan has said the "I only did what any parent would do" line about 50 times in the past few days. We get it, he has been redeemed somewhat and everyone in town knows it...

-I got a nice guffaw when Beth could just barely squeak out that she was - gasp!- a grandmother. Actually, all the Spaulding interaction was a highlight. Even James who wasn't his usual brooding self.

-I was so scared about the Jeanne Cooper/Christian LeBlanc thing taking time away from GL's finale, so I'm glad it was today and not Friday and that it was fairly short. So were they even playing Katherine and Michael? I'm pretty sure Leblanc was called Justin, but did she at least play Katherine?

-I really hope they have Reva stop Josh from leaving... That would really suck if he did.

-And there it is. Alan has died... Nice twist. It at least partially redeems the character after years of cartoonish villainy and give him back a little dignity. I like.

-And how could I forget that great, but short scene with Matt, Maureen, Nola, and Bridget? Great stuff.

Archived