GL: September Discussion

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Geez, what an underwhelming finale. I wanted to cry, damn it.

Everyone got a happy ending, so I guess that's all that matters. Josh/Reva were my main focus all throughout, so I'm glad that we ended with them.

I agree with the sentiment that it only felt more like a season finale than a series finale. The beginning with the all the logos was the only part that really called attention to the fact that this is the end of a 72-year-old show as opposed to a year-old show.

Fare thee well, Springfield. It's been a fabulous time.

• Members

The only thing I enjoyed about this finale was Dinah and Mallet getting back together and the reference to one of their initial encounters. "Elaine! Elaine!" LOL.

Gina Tognoni and her chemistry with almost everyone on the canvas was such a bright spot in an otherwise low-budget effort.

• Members

As Josh and Reva got into that truck and drove off I thought about three things...

1) Yay they're back together!

2) It would have been so much better if they made Collin, Josh's child.

3) At least Reva getting to raise one of her kids (She didn't raise Dylan, Marah, Shayne, or Jonathan)

All in all, there were some really good moments, versus some moments I wasn't particularly fond of, but didn't drag down the entire episode for me. I was left needing a tissue and glad about the happy endings.

• Members

Basically Jeffrey will be eternally chasing after Edmund so no they did not wrap it up. Actually Jeffrey wasn't in the episode at all and I was thankful for that.

I felt underwhelmed by the final episode but the last 15 minuter were truly amazing especially as were all the Josh and Reva scenes. I'm happy we saw them get back together because I was very worried Wheeler and Co weren't going to go through on this. I was also surprised no one even mentioned Harley and was a little disappointed of Fletcher not mentioning Meg but he did remember about Ben though. But meh I could take what I got. I'm still thrilled about Billy and Vanessa AND Ed and Holly. Ed and Holly were destined back in 2003 until Ellen Weston dropped the storyline entirely ugh.

By the way Danny Santos looks and seems REALLY out of place in Peapack.

Farewell Guiding Light, I felt very sad as we watched Jeva drive away. I felt worse when Couric came on and said "This is final edition of newsbreak" and the last headline was GL's final episode.

jcar03 Dylan and Bridget were in Monday 9/14's episode.

• Members

No thank God. I would have been spitting fire had they included that story...

All in all, it was an okay finale. Sure I wish it was better planned out and I wish this new production style would have been abandoned or never tried in the first place. But such as it was, this week exceeded my expectations. But I suppose they were low to begin with. Sure I wish they could have done a Lighthouse Gala finally with as many people from the past as possible, but that was probably a pipe dream. I'm just glad my favorite characters got essentially the ending that I wished for them.

But in a sense, ANY finale for GL would probably have been unsatisfying in some way. I mean, how do you wrap up something that has been going on for 72 years? In that way I don't envy TPTB. It was not an easy thing to do. Sure they made alot of mistakes over the past few months that limited them in this final week, but some of what we did get was great stuff.

But enough armchair producing. This is a sad day for television. Guiding Light was a show that had a generous heart and soul that showed us the meaning of what it is to be a part of the larger community of humankind. It showed us the power of that fellowship to provide hope to a soul lost out there in the darkness. I will miss it. But its memories will live on always. My favorite show is now at peace. May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest...

• Members

Guiding Light Finale Episode, the Cliff Notes version:

Alexandra leaves town with Fletcher before the flash-forward starts but she seems happy before she goes.

9-18FE12.jpg9-18FE13.jpg

Frank & Blake realize that they're each other's online "friend" when they bump into each other on a date they setup online. It apparently goes well because in the flash-forward, they're a couple and she's helping Frank with his baby Francesca, who he raises with Olivia and Natalia.

9-18FE1-1.jpg9-18FE2-1.jpg

9-18FE3-1.jpg9-18FE4-1.jpg

We see Mallet & Dinah in the fast-forward watching a wedding at a European church. They don't know the couple, Dinah just loves weddings. Mallet playfully throws her over his shoulder and carries her out. I think they're back together and on the run with each other but some think they're just buddies who meet up in Europe once in a while. It's never really said one way or another.

9-18FE4.jpg9-18FE5.jpg

9-18FE6.jpg

Bill & Lizzie are still together a year later and Lizzie is pregnant and she and Jonathan have an amicable relationship raising Sarah.

9-18FE7.jpg9-18FE8.jpg

Phillip & Beth end the show together as a couple and their last scene is toasting Rick & Mindy's impending marriage along with Danny and Michelle.

9-18FE9.jpg9-18FE15.jpg

9-18FE11.jpg9-18FE10.jpg

And Josh & Reva DO reunite at the lighthouse a year after Josh left for Oklahoma. Reva's found herself again and is ready for "Always". They ride off into the sunset with Colin on "a big adventure". Okay, I seriously just teared up writing that part.

9-18FE14.jpg

9-18FE16.jpg9-18FE17.jpg

Download whole show in IPod MP4 format

http://rapidshare.com/files/281893156/Guiding_Light_9-18-09-The_Final_Episode.mp4

or

Windows Media Video format

http://rapidshare.com/files/281898513/Guiding_Light_9-18-09-The_Final_Episode.wmv

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v734/RoseVioletDaisy/GL2009/9-September/9-18/?action=view&current=GuidingLight9-18-09TheFinalEpisodeP.flv

Archived