GL: September Discussion

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bitchy? Oh yeah sure. Stupid? I disagree. Wrong? I'm not convinced.

I will concede and appologize, however, for my comment about there being NO fans of Reva and Jeffrey (Mallet and Marina on the other hand?). You'll have to excuse me. My favorite show wasted six years on that wooden-empty sack-rapist and I'm still just a tad bitter. But to say that they were "everywhere" and that they were a "hit" was doing the exact same thing you accused me of doing: posting an opposite point of view that relies on your own reality, "not the REAL reality." After all a fanboard spamming a Soaps in Depth weekly poll is hardly imperical evidence. I know how internet fanbases work too. What would qualify as a "hit?" Ratings, longevity, critical appeal, non-internet fan support?

The only thing that I will say about the Reva/Jeffrey/Josh story was that when the show ended, I'm sorry to all their fans, but Josh and Reva needed to be the end game for the sake of the show. It might have been a slight for their fans had Jeffrey not died because it, at least, provided closure for them. Instead, nothing has been resolved, only beaten around the bush.

• Members

I really agree with some of the points made. Rick and Mindy DID need more development. The finale DID act like Springfield did not exist before 1983.

I don't like when a soap asks viewers to fill in all the blanks. It's lazy and insulting.

However, I feel like they gave us no options, and perhaps they couldn't afford to use the actors more, I don't know. I guess I was happy to get anything at all.

• Members

The Price is Right.

I do agree that the ending for GL was rushed. Glad Mindy and Rick ended up together. That's what I always wanted but it was rushed with no build up whatsoever. The show still featured characters I could care less for. EW had plenty of time to end bad storylines and start new ones with Holly, Ed, Rick, Mindy...etc.

• Members

The 1983 statement is true, and I wonder if it was Wheeler's idea to treat the final episode that way.

It was under Wheeler that we got that fantastic Anniversary episode, AS WELL as the arrival of a Rev. Rutledge(According to the show he was Rev. Rutledge's great grandson), who was heavily prominent in the Josh-as-a-Reverend storyline.

• Members

Wow, I didn't know that about Reverend Ruthledge's great-grandson, but yeah, the 70th anniversary episode was probably the best soap anniversary episode ever (dare I say I'd rank it ahead of ATWT's 30th anniversary and both of AMC's 90s anniversary shows?). That would have been an appropriate finale, moreso than what we got. I am normally inclined to blame a lot on network interference, but you would think when a show has been canceled, there's an acknowledgment that all of the market research in the world isn't going to help the ratings, so why on earth wouldn't the number crunchers stay out of it?

Although after reading Marlena de la Croix's column, a part of me feels guilty for splitting hairs... She was right, it's over, whether it was done well or not it could have been much worse, and I never would have thought I would see characters like Holly and Ed and Bridget on my tv screen again. So maybe I should just take it for what it's worth.

• Members

I think the part that got me was when I turned the TV on at the GL time and saw Drew Carey spinning a wheel. Is this what I grew up watching, what my grandmother watched every day, this is what we get now? Sad.

I will always miss GL, but I just try to think of the show as being a survivor, even to the end. There were so many flaws, but honestly, if you asked me around 2003 or 2004 if I thought the show would even have a halfway decent ending, you wouldn't want to hear my answer.

The weird part is I still miss some of the long gone characters, like Ross and Nadine and Maureen, more than the show itself.

Archived