GL: September Discussion

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I liked Ron Raines as Alan back in the 90s but since around 2003 he's been so hammy and the character is so one-dimensional. Nevertheless I had a knot in my stomach upon Phillip finding his body. That last scene between Buzz and Alan was terrific. Although it was indeed nice to see all this character interaction for the last time, this final week should have been far more interesting.

• Members

Aw, I was sad when Alan died. Yes, he was such a cartoon in his final years (only a three dimensional character when Millee Taggart wrote the show), but damn it I felt sad not because Alan had died, but I felt sorry for Phillip, having watched for years the ups and downs of their relationship as viewer. The only thing I could think of as I watched that scene play out, was how Alan schemed to keep Olivia and Phillip apart during the Taggart and Culliton era, and how they were then, versus that final scene between the two characters.

One gripe though: Despite Phillip and Alan’s complex relationship, I’ve always believed that A-M and Alan’s was more complex, as A-M always seemed to be the son who was more inclined to follow the same path as Alan; as a schemer and manipulator, yet always yearning for his father's approval (Just as Alan did with Brandon). It would have been powerful to watch a scene between Alan and A-M focused on how A-M has always believed that Alan has loved Phillip more than any of his other children.

• Members

I gotta admit---I feel a little used watching the entire town laud Alan right before his death. And now I'm furious TIIC didn't bother to ask ANY of the other A-M's (beside Rick Hearst) back to resolve that relationship. I mean not even for a day? REALLY? Alan did backflips for both Phillip and Gus, and nothing for the biological son he at least knew about all his life?

The Vanessa/notKatherineChancellor&MichaelBaldwin moment was a little cute.

• Members

Question, is Maureen Garrett going to be appearing in any episodes this week, or were those two episodes where she spent more time with Otalia than Blake or Ed the only episodes she did?

The Beth and Phillip scenes by the beach today melted my heart, no matter how cheesy they might have been.

I wish Alan Michael could have come back too, and I really wanted that Rick Hearst thing to work out. No one ever played the hell out of that role better than him.

As rushed as it was, I'm glad Billy and Vanessa are ending the show together...

• Members

Thanks!

At the end of the show, I always wanted Holly and Ed to finally get together. Roger's dead, Maureen's dead, so what's there to stop it? I'd even settle for a scene where there's a hint of hope for a possible romantic spark to their relationship again. Their friendship withstood so many obstacles and various partners.

I'm intrigued at this possible Roger-related closure for Holly, though.

I also need to see a brief scene between Bridget and her uncle Ed, and if they mention Maureen in there somewhere, great. Something like Ed saying to Bridget, "If your Aunt Maureen were around today, she'd be proud of the woman you've turned into." They can then expand on that.

These things probably won't happen, but I can wish. LOL!

• Members

Holly's in tomorrow's episode from what I've heard! Yay!

I liked the way the news of Alan's demise trickled town across Springfield today.

Though, is anyone still a bit disturbed that Beth procreated with Alan during Phillip absence and now she's back with Phillip again? I was a bit uncomfortable during those Beth/Peyton scenes. LOL!

• Members

I don't think Ron Raines has ever fit the role of Alan. He's good at the theatrics but didn't have the dark edge or the sexual magnetism. He was always close to breaking out into song. With that said, I have enjoyed some of his work and I thought his last few months with James and Phillip and Alex were good. I agree with everyone who said it's ridiculous A-M never returned. Even if Rick Hearst wasn't interested, they had other actors available.

I don't care for Jonathan or TP that much but I have enjoyed this last return more than I thought I would. My favorite part was his turned on reaction to Olivia telling him she's with Natalia, because it was unexpected and it was hard to remember this relationship ever had any sexual element.

Was Doris's date the woman who was a bartender at the lesbian bar? Is Doris now out of the closet as mayor as well, or just in her private life?

• Members

It's a shame she never even has scenes with Buzz now, especially since he got together with Lillian, who was once her best friend.

I'm glad Fletcher came back briefly. He was one of my favorites for years and years. Did he have any scenes with Ed or with Holly?

SFK, Dorothy Lyman appeared a few weeks ago. She didn't have much to do, sadly. She was the widow of the man who went to Vietnam instead of Alan, and was killed. Phillip took Alan to meet her, and her son. I don't know if Alan told them about his fear of the draft leading to the man's death but he did tell them he knew the man and he was a good person.

Archived