The Politics Thread

• Members

I agree. For the record, my top 4 choices are:

1. Tom Perez

2. Pete Buttigieg

3. Jaime Harrison

4. Keith Ellison

I LOVED seven year old Toby speaking to Tom Cotton. My parents grew up in Northwest Arkansas, so needless to say, I'm quite proud of those roots right now.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I like Perez but I feel like he is too much involved in the establishment. Pete was doing too many talking points, and I grew tired of him bringing up Indiana. I feel like Jehmu, Sam, Keith, and Jaime were the stars. Overall, I am glad that everyone is on the same and willing to work together regardless who wins it all. 

• Members

I don't think they're pointless AT ALL. The Democratic Party is at a true crosswords right now, and with a Hillary/Bernie debate basically going on by proxy between Perez and Ellison, we need to see what they want to do with the party, while also taking steps to unite it at the same time. 

Well, I have roots in Indiana so it didn't bother me.

Please register in order to view this content

(Of course, Perez is from Maryland like I am, but that's not my reason for supporting him in the first place--that said, I'll admit he could've been stronger tonight.)

But I understand where you're coming from. 

• Members

I thought Perez was stronger on an earlier debate this season. He was not so strong tonight. But again, I feel like the Dems need to steer away from the establishment going forward if they plan on making ground w/ grass root voters. 

Yeah, Pete annoyed me. I like him, but I hate when politicians repeat the same points over and over again. It becomes waning overtime. I do think he'll become a force in the party down the line. I just don't see it now. 

• Members

I am so leery of Hispanics/Latinos. The majority care about the entitled white rich and ignore their fellow hispanics/minorities. The AA always for the most part stick together and support each other.

A friend of mine which is latino helped a fellow latino get elected for a position in my state. My friend called him shortly after his win because he needed some help and he wouldn't take his calls and totally ignored him. Talk about lack of gratitude.  And they have been friends since childhood.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Well you have to remember too that many Latinos are White and somewhat rich (i.e. the Cubans). Latinos have a huge problem with accepting their mestizo and African roots or counterparts. 

I do think that we (African Americans that is) stick together politically, but we have our issues in other facets of life though. 

The mods pissed me off on how they wouldn't allow Jehmu or Sally explain their points, but allowed the men to somewhat go overtime a lot. It wasn't lost on me. 

• Members

I'm glad that he is yet another member of the press who is very good at stating the obvious. Journalism in action. 

What I'd love to know is why I keep seeing articles praising oh so clever Republican Congressman for finding "ways" to appease or avoid confrontation with people at town halls. I sure don't remember that when these town halls went after Democrats in 2009 and 2010. I remember endless breathless coverage of Democrats under siege from "real" Americans. 

• Members

I am not here for Keith Ellison AT ALL. He is one of those people that think being a Democrat/progressive deserves some sort of purity test. Will he understand that Democrats are a party that have to cater to several different factions? There are the uber-liberal Democrats in the Northeast and West Coast, the religious conservative Democrats that get elected in majority black districts in the South, the Democrats that have to be center right in the Western plain states. I just do not think he has a 50 state strategy. Him and the rest of the Bernie people are annoying as hell. Running to the far left only alienates more voters and will cause disastrous results in 2020. Bernie would have lost worst than Hillary, but due to Bernie's demagoguery his little fans still think he was "robbed" and that he is an angel.  

At the end of the day, a president should have the cautious pragmatism that Hillary had. Running to the hard right or left like Trump and Bernie only alienates the opposite sides and only appeases the interests of <40 percent of the country. She may have been the wrong candidate, but she had the right message.