Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Highly ironic that many Conservatives in the Northeast cite their approval of Trump's immigration policy due to places like suburban NY (e.g. Suffolk County), while NYPD now think that this immigration policy could actually make their jobs more difficult. 

Yesterday, NYPD made an official statement that they would not be asking immigration status of an crime victims or witnesses.  They stated that they would comply with federal immigration law concerning suspects accused of serious crimes that threaten public safety.

This article seems to be indicative of how police are now forced to grapple with whether there will be a now breakdown in the hard earned trust between police and the community- especially in communities with large immigrant populations.

Police Fear Trump Immigration Orders May Handcuff Effort to Fight Gangs

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Rachel Maddow last night had a segment on Harris County in Texas(Houston area and state's most populous county). I didn't realize that the long time Sheriff there got beat in this past election due to his support of the 287 program. Harris had deported record numbers of undocumented folks under his watch. Last election, the Hispanic community campaigned voted  in droves, a lot to do with him, Clinton of course won the county but the former Sheriff got beat by a democrat who ran opposed to 287. It was not a narrow win either he won with around 54% of the vote.

It failed in the 1920's, it failed under Reagan, Bush, yet they still are able to sell stupid Americans on it. And that in itself convinces me that American's don't really care that they are getting screwed as long as the other guy gets screwed worse.

• Members

There is absolutely no way our economy will be able to sustain any of this without some sort of crash. Tourism, Agriculture, Kicking out people who actually contribute to our economy.

In Chicago, the Ukrainian Village is full of undocumented folks. And that part of the city has experienced the highest growth in the past 5 years due to those folks.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I think some people want to believe in fairytales because reality is way too hard for them to face/accept.  When people like Donald Trump sell them pipe dreams some of them no it's one big lie, but they need to believe whatever it is they hear and they hear what they want to hear.

I watched another one of those PBS Newshour segments yesterday.  It featured a couple in Erie County, PA who voted for Trump because they want to believe that he's got the magical fairydust to turn their ghost town back to the way it was in the seventies.  Jobs started leaving that area in the seventies because of technological advancements, etc. and have steadily gone away until there is just a little remainder of GE.  The magical President is going to fix it for them because after years of hoping that the Democrats would, they now have to turn to another fairy godmother.

It's not even that some of these people are naive, it's that they just don't know how to move on with the changing times.

The DNC is in a jam either way, imo.  Neither of the two options are good: go to the extreme left or keep standing in place.

• Members

I think the DNC really needs to look at a compromise. I actually like Harrison, Jehmu, and Buttigieg. I see Harrison has dropped and endorsed Perez.  He IMO would have been the best choice. The problem is Perez and Ellison will create animosity within some faction. Better to go with a compromise. Buttigieg IMO is destined for more, Ellison really is needed in the house, and the DNC chair is really more or less a fundraising job. With that Perez seems like the better choice, but Jehmu has talked a lot about working from the ground up as has Buttigieg. I feel both Buttigieg and Jehmu could do better than being a fundraiser.  Jehmu like Buttigieg and someone like Jason Kander  IMO has starpower and could do more. I guess we will see.

The worst part is it's been 40 years of the same. These communities have been obliterated. The sad part is if these communities could open themselves up to refugees(who helped cities like Buffalo and Pittsburgh bounce back) or Hispanics(which have helped areas in larger cities bounce back) they could turn themselves around to some extent. The problem isn't manufacturing leaving, its the lack of seeing that our country is moving on. Donald Trump and the GOP's programs will only highlight how much our own business communities have moved on. Actually the GOP knows darn well that is the case and is why they have fought against and for immigration reform for years.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Uhm no....simply no.  I can't imagine Bob Marley wasting any time with someone like Reince Priebus.

Maybe one of those movie characters like Jeff Spicoli (Fast Times...) or the one Matthew McConaughey played in Dazed and Confused

I saw a clip of Stephen Miller from his high school days and he was quite hateful.  These immigration raids are probably giving him all sorts of thrills.