Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I have to admit I'm really surprised that Georgia is apparently considered a conservative state and is run by Republicans. Granted my whole experience with Georgia is entirely based on a two week holiday in Atlanta, Savannah, and some place called St. Simon's and then driving through Mason (Macon? whatever it's called- that city near Atlanta), but I assumed it was really diverse and probably more of a liberal state thanks to the UN building in Atlanta, CNN, and all the stuff in Savannah. Where is all this conservative support coming from? I'm also curious about North Carolina because that's another place  that I assumed was more on the liberal side but apparently isn't?

• Members

Atlanta's northern suburbs are incredibly Republican and heavily skew the statewide vote to the right, enough so that the left leaning parts of the state can't out vote them (plus there are the rural areas that are conservative on top of that). North Carolina is less conservative due to northern transplants moving into the Triad and the Research Triangle.

• Members

North Carolina was seen as slowly becoming more progressive until about 2010, when the "tea party" movement (breathlessly pushed by an adoring media who never stopped reminding voters that these were all everyday citizens who just wanted to save Americans money and had no other motivations whatsoever) defeated rusty and in some cases corrupt Democrats and took over the state legislature. They gerrymandered their way into permanent dominance. The governor, an unpopular Democrat, chose not to run again, so a Republican (breathlessly hyped by the media as a "moderate") won. They quickly made North Carolina a complete hate state, and blackened the image of the state to many around the country and the world. And sadly if polls are any indication they will be rewarded for it by being kept in office. Over and over these bigots are rewarded by voters, no matter what they say or do.

• Members

Call me a fascist, but David Duke does deserve a bullet.   Just remember what Dave is thinking about so many of the people who post on this forum, if not as individuals then our various types.    The Trumps are fascists, but I am not wasting even a single brain cell worrying about David Duke's civil rights.   

• Members

^ But we can't start advocating people's death because of what they think. That tends to work out badly for any society that tries it.  It wouldn't matter if this were just one of us on the board, but this is someone close to power (or potential power). I though it was pretty disturbing.

• Members

Macon. 

All those cities you've listed tend to lean left. 

It is rural areas throughout GA that lean right. Our issue is that people don't vote turning midterm hence why Conservatives have owned this state for the longest. 

I'm praying this upcoming midterm there is something that generates voter turnout. I wish that people would get their sh-t together and vote. This state is thisclose to being purple. 

• Members

The guy is a nazi.  His hero  killed 6 million people just like me.   If this guy had his way my grandparents would have got it too and I wouldn't be here right now.    Let him die and make the world a better place I say.    He's a nazi, end of story as far as I'm concerned.   In the contest of who is most evil in world history, the nazis win.   That's who this guy aspires to be.

• Members

Is it the job of a president, or his family, to go around saying someone needs a bullet? What does that inspire in his supporters, especially those supporters who see many others (not Duke or those with Duke's views) as Nazis? All they will hear is the "deserves a bullet" part.

• Members

There we agree.  As a private citizen I'll admit if David Duke were shot in front of me, I wouldn't call 911. I wouldn't shed a tear if every white supremacist in this country died tomorrow.  That's not the issue. The issue is who is next on the list to deserve a bullet in the minds of the Trump family? We know DT thinks women who have had an abortion deserve to be punished, do they deserve a bullet? He implied Hillary deserves a bullet already.  No good comes from this talk by public figures, imo. 

It's better than the alternative, that's for sure.

• Members

TPM's election observations - in their opinion, the minority vote is rebounding for Clinton in FL and NC, but voter suppression tactics have worked wrt early voting and while he thinks Clinton will win, he has no basis beyond gut feeling; polls and demographics suggest Trump is likely to win NH; the ground game suggests Clinton will likely win NV unless the reports are wrong; Clinton having her last rally in PA doesn't mean that she thinks she will lose the state, but that she knows the race will be close nationally. 

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/election-observation-potpourri-2