The Politics Thread

• Members

I don't think they personally would want to hang around Trump, but I think they see the Clintons as old, tired, and aloof, and Trump and his insanity as fresh (and ratings). There's a real glee when they talk about negative stories for Hillary while with Trump they're often more guarded and regretful. It's only surrogates who are allowed to be outspoken in belittling Trump, and even that's limited, as some networks happily employ people who work for his campaign. 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't discount some of the glee, but I think a lot of them are absolutely terrified and/or contemptuous of Trump. You need only look at yesterday's grassroots twitter movement on behalf of Katy Tur, who Trump continues to abuse and single out at rallies by urging his audiences to attack her. Some journalists are more glib than others as they're in the bubble. And yes, CNN's handling of Lewandowski vs. Brazile is beyond the pale. But there's a difference between the media's glib disconnect from realities and traditional conservative lean - which causes them to cluck about any Democratic win as "not a mandate" so don't get happy, liberals - versus how they've reacted to Trump.

The media has gotten more liberal, albeit very slowly with fits and starts, over the last 15 years, and I think most of them are horrified by him. The problem is that it's their bubble and bias that took them this long to stop treating him as just another GOP candidate and more as a horrific nightmare, and now you see most of them still trying to pimp a horse race because that is always the morning order from their producers to save their weekly numbers. But do I think most of the coverage on CNN or MSNBC is favorable to Trump in the last month-plus? No.

Meanwhile: Deadspin on Donald Trump's treatment of Donald Jr.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Thanks for all the replies about Georgia and North Carolina. I always forget about the rural areas in places like that and that they're way more heavily populated than our rural areas.

Sorry for all the questions, but can someone explain to me what has happened with Rudy Giuliani? Has he gone crazy or senile? Does he have some sort of personal vendetta against the Clintons? i just imagine why someone who was suppose to respected, for lack of a better word, would be so willing to go down with a man like Trump.

• Members

Giuliani has always been somewhat far out there, because he made New York a fairly scary place for non-whites as far as the police goes. He was elevated as some sort of deity after 9/11, even though he did nothing out of the ordinary. He really went insane after he lost the 2008 presidential primary and started showing who he really is after that. His vendetta is pretty much the standard ones that a lot of Republicans have against the Clintons. I think he also still harbors anger over the 2000 US Senate race where he briefly ran against Hillary, but had to drop out of for health reasons.

Edited by ReddFoxx

• Members

So apparently the DNC had informed the FBI that its offices had been bugged? When did this happen?!

Well, for the National Enquirer this has got to be a first!

National Enquirer Shielded Donald Trump From Playboy Model’s Affair Allegation

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I keep seeing this narrative that black voters aren't turning out (yet these articles don't mention voter suppression). I don't know how much is true and how much is the media wanting to pit groups against each other if Trump wins as they are likely hoping. 

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/barack-obama-trump-un-american-inhuman-230753

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-detroit-detour-230771

• Members

Of course they are wrong and ignore suppression but great news is as of yesterday NC AA caught up to 2012 levels with one more day of EV and Latinos EVERYWHERE including NC are over surpassing what anyone expected. High numbers voting in Florida, Arizona, North Carolina and if u saw yesterday in Nevada and the long lines of Latinos, this sleeping giant has been awoken this election. Word is that even Clintons campaign is shocked at the high  Latinx turnout. But anyone paying one bit of attention to Telemundo and Univision would know because they have been hitting Trump and the GOP hard for months. Yes Latinx's pay attention and again like in 2012 are underpolled? That poll that showed Trump ahead in Nevada by 4 had 0 Latinx's polled. Not 0 percent, 0.  Asian American vote is up by 40 percent over 2012. These numbers exceed the numbers Obama got in 2008. And dont discount women. We r also the sleeping giant the media has ignored.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Ms. Grace Bell Hardison, a 100 year old African American woman whose voter registration was challenged by a White man in her area (no doubt influenced by those flawed stories of voter fraud) got her right to vote restored. Thank goodness her nephew saw her name in the newspaper with the other voter registrations that were thrown off the rolls after being challenged and deemed fraudent.

Please register in order to view this content

Thank goodness she fought back and got her registration and her right to vote restored!  President Obama mentioned her during a campaign appearance in NC this week and she wrote him a wonderful letter in response.

By the way, a judge ordered the state of NC to restore all the purged names back to the eligible voter registry rolls. It is illegal to purge names less than 90 days before an election. Apparently, the man who challenged Ms. Bell Hardison was ignorant of this fact.

Edited by DramatistDreamer