The Politics Thread

• Members

Not a surprise. I am a little surprised at how lopsided the win was though.  I guess we'll see how well this new variant is handled in the UK. So far it's problematic despite all the assurances.  

I'm actually liking how this new variant is being addressed here. People are being told to be cautious but there are no alarm bells. 

Johnson is an idiot plain and simple. He clearly almost died with that first bout of COVID he had.  We'll see if this is any kind of breaking point. Are people tired enough of his lies about Brexit and now COVID along with the hypocrisy and the corruption? We'll see.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I read that article you posted. I admit I am not well informed on British politics but I am not clear on the point the article was trying to make about the Lib Dems.  It's clear that Labour, The Lib Dems, and the Greens must form a coalition but is there a real question as to if the Lib dems would unite with the Greens and Labour to oust the Tories? And I am not clear on the challenges the Lib Dems face in terms of broader election wins that the article seemed to insinuate.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

There seems to be more of a move recently towards an “informal” progressive coalition to counter the Tories, especially now that the Tories have started to fall quite heavily in the opinion polls due to the recent scandals. We’ll see what eventuates.

In terms of Lib Dem electability, it all goes back to when they were in coalition government with the Tories back in 2010-2015 (Nick Clegg who now works at Facebook was Lib Dem leader, as well as Deputy Prime Minister behind David Cameron). The Lib Dems had to make a whole bunch of sacrifices as part of the coalition agreement, which backfired on them badly and resulted in them almost getting wiped out in the 2015 election.

Since then, it’s been a very very slow climb to try and shrug off that baggage, but in saying that, they’ve won two seats from the Tories in by-elections within the last 12 months. The next 12 months are going to be rather interesting…

• Members

Well and there it is. Manchin is a NO on BBB.   He's willing to destroy Biden's presidency for the money he's being bought off by and the news media has completely ignored this aspect of him. And he announces it on FOX NEWS.

I've been holding out hope because this was Biden's agenda - not the progressives. BIDEN. The democrats are going to get blown up in 2022 and it's because of ONE ARROGANT and CROOKED senator who won't budge on voting rights or legislation.

Manchin tanks Biden’s $1.75 trillion spending plan - Axios

I'm not naive I kind of figured Manchin would not do it so Biden better start lining up Executive Orders - as many as he can sign and get through to do a ton.  The good news is they have gotten a record number of judges approved.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Joe Manchin should just switch parties already. Yes, we'd be stuck with Turtle again, but at least we would be held hostage by the devil we know instead of having "I got my yacht, screw you!" Lucy Van Pelt football holder Manchin.

I think I hate Manchin as much as Turtle right now.

And Chuck Schumer is WORTHLESS as Senate Majority Leader. Say what you will about Turtle, and I have, but HE knew how to whip his party into line for his evil ideas. Chuck is WEAK.