Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

If the Senate Parliamentarian is an advisory role and can be replaced, as people are saying, then why is she still there? Why all this chaos? Isn't Schumer the Senate leader? Do they need a majority vote or something? 

What's the problem? I'm genuinely asking.

If the shoe were on the other foot, Republicans would likely replace her if she were standing in the way of their agenda, no?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

The GOP did  just that in the early '00s. My guess is Schumer is afraid but beyond that, Manchin and Sinema and those who hide behind them probably said no, they won't let it happen. One of the reasons I stopped posting in here much is because I was just so disheartened by their stalling and clear hatred  of anything beyond getting more checks in their bank accounts. And it still keeps going.

• Members

There are a lot of Senate Dems who are still very committed to norms and not violating them which replacing or ignoring the parliamentarian would require, believing that eventually things will go back to normal if they just appeal to their colleagues' better nature. The Senate is too cozy an environment for a lot of these people who make friends with the opposition inside that cloistered circle and fail to fully accept or acknowledge what the modern GOP really stands for today - and the same goes for a ton of Beltway media.

But I don't believe there are enough Democratic Senators left to blockade real change if Manchin or Sinema bent on key issues; assuming that would be futile because there is always another recalcitrant Senator is IMO wrong. The handful of Dem Senators who are dragging ass on these issues prefer to have Sinemanchin do the work because they don't want to be exposed and forced to vote their conscience; if left vulnerable, they will buckle to the majority will and do what the people want. Which is another reason Manchin hollered like a hit dog when it was reported he wanted to cut the Child Tax Credit - I suspect he'll do anything to avoid being stuck with that blame, which may be leverage going forward.

Edited by Vee