Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

At least one of these issues is not as important as folks think it is, that's all I will say on that post.

I wish people (including media) had the ability to focus on more than one issue at a time. The latest jobs report clearly illustrates that hiring has slowed down. I suspect it's been slowing for some time, meanwhile the labor force has "surged" as media reports put it, probably because Republicans have yanked many social safety nets from under their constituents, based on the lie that eviction protection programs and extended unemployment was somehow a disincentive to work. People have been complaining for months that employers are not hiring at the rate that ads are being put out and people are continually applying for jobs, yet not hearing back, despite companies complaining that they don't get enough job inquiries (which is  clearly not the case) for open positions, therefore many jobs are going unfilled.

This is more alarming than being highlighted in media.

Much of the "leverage" (what little there was to begin with) that workers and prospective employees are purported to have is obviously being stripped away and it appears to be a concerted effort by the corporations and those of their ilk. 

Why so little focus on this? Is this issue not "sexy" enough?

Also, who actually gives a fig about whether the idiot former occupant of the White House had COVID or not (he did) or whether idiots in high places are actual friends rather than mutuals who frequent the same events.

There are actual events going in that actually affect real life and these events don't seem to get much traction.

How sad.

• Members

The media and press is not the friend of regular people. The sooner we all understand that the better. That has been the case for a while. There is still some good reporting but most of it is not in major news outlets. it certainly is not anywhere on cable TV. When you have large corporations and oligarchs owning most of the major news outlets (TV, social media, cable TV, newspapers) that should tell you all you need to know.

Trust me when I say Trump is a horrible human being yet one thing he did say is the truth in many ways. The press is the enemy of the people.  But it never has been the enemy of the attention *hores like Trump who get favorable coverage for just breathing. 

As horrible as social media is and the people who run those platforms are, there are so many things we would still never know about if we relied on the press and media corps. That's by design.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

@JaneAusten the way and in the form most current media exist today is the reason why I have to read multiple sources every week, if I want even half the story.  Some days I can't even stomach much other than to read the headline the the lede. I can remember years ago when I would consume the news like it was my job because to be able to write, I felt like being well read was a must. To some extent, I still feel this way but I am far more circumspect about every single news source- I pretty much treat them all as if tabloid tendencies lurk beneath the surface.

• Members

The article was corrected, but the tweet has the old headline.
It should say "at end of 2021" (not "after 2022")
The update is that Nunes is retiring in 3 weeks, at the end of December. 
He is retiring one year before his term ends.
https://sjvsun.com/news/politics/devin-nunes-announces-intent-to-retire-after-2022/

------------

Edited by janea4old