Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Because of  Manchin and Simena, I can see why Mitch wasn't worried about losing the Senate. The Democrats passes watered down "bipartisan" legislation to appease Republicans without actual Republican support. The Republicans still will rail against the legislation to their voters and will leave the Democrats hanging out to dry as usual. Republicans are still in control and they don't even have the White House or Congress. 

• Members

I wouldn't say the GOP is still in control -- if they were, I don't think they'd bother picking stupid fights over potato genitalia -- but I do think the time has come for Chuck Schumer and others to start applying pressure to Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema, especially as we turn our full attention to the VRA.

• Members

I agree with you (and I also tend to believe the reports at how thrown Democrats were to even win the Senate - a number of them would have had a much easier life in the minority). With that said, this was the one time "bipartisanship" actually ended up being real, as if not for Lisa Murkowski voting down an amendment banning trans kids from being able to play in sports, the whole bill likely would have been scuttled. 

(you can guess who voted for it...)

I think this is what they would probably be doing in the majority (along with trying to persecute the Biden family for umpteenth made-up scandals), but we would not be getting the help we are at least getting now. I just wish there was any way that Manchin and Sinema would do more, instead of being so proud of themselves for their posturing and hurting poor people. Look at this idiotic, right wing fever dream response to criticisms of Sinema's antics:

[!@#$%^&*] like this is why I don't know if anyone else would be able to keep the caucus under tighter control, even if the idea of Amy Klobuchar throwing staplers does amuse me.

• Members

The far left always needs a woman to hate. Whether it's Sinema or Neera Tanden, the left was birthed in Hillary hate so they can't function without a witch to burn at the stake. 

Kyrsten Sinema is not the enemy. Neither is Joe Manchin. If/when that changes, I'll recalibrate.

The COVID relief bill is basically our New Deal and this one doesn't leave out Black/brown people.

• Members

Yes, I admit it was fun to watch them get slapped down. Hopefully, they will take the lesson and do better.

Please register in order to view this content

As Jane mentioned, she brought a damn cake into the Senate. She was purposely trying to taunt people over this issue and I find it despicable.

Perhaps the fight for $15 has always been a little too ambition in the short term. I think people do deserve that, but it probably wasn't realistic to expect to double the minimum wage in just a few years during a small business destroying pandemic. Back to the drawing board.

• Members

I think we all myself included need to stop chastising the bill. There is a ton of good stuff in it that is going to help millions of people. The anti poverty element in this is huge. And while I am still pissed about the min wage, maybe Sewell's bill is a better approach. It actually might have a chance of passing in the senate. Well maybe lol. Lets see if any of those working class heroes like Little Marco and Josh Hawley vote for a standalone min wage bill since they represent the party of working people.  I already know the answer.

In the meantime states that don't have a increased min wage need to get working on getting a referendum on their 2022 ballot. About the only thing I agree with Michael Moore on is getting ballot initiatives in place that will draw people out to vote. Marijuana legislation was one and now it's time to get those min wage referendums on every state ballot across the country.

Arizona by the way has one of the hghest minimum wages in the country. I believe it's $12.50. Why? Because theirs is indexed with COL.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

It will be interesting to see what the reaction of governors of "Red States" to the offer of funds for Medicaid expansion will be, and if their constituents, after being eyewitnesses to mass suffering as a result of a pandemic will allow their governors to rebuff the offer, the way so many did in previous years.

Good to see the specific mention of providing proper ventilation to schools.

Hopefully, not just schools (though this was a major concern, as I mentioned last year) but municipal and public buildings, churches and housing will be able to make improvements to the air filtration and ventilation systems, as poor indoor quality has been a significant problem, even before the pandemic.

Edited by DramatistDreamer