The Politics Thread

• Members

Wasn't there a character on ATWT named Hutch Hutchinson?

But I digress,

This was an interesting interview with Stacey Abrams. Much more nuance than what you may hear from a lot of political circles.

Also interesting that she says that, from her work in GA, she observes that one cannot give up on certain states, and she includes the state of Ohio in this, which is the opposite of what I have heard many say in this past election.

Very interesting listen.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Imagine being this eager to vote down an increase in the minimum wage, as well as pander to McCain voters like they are children. I have no faith in her staying in the party if it comes the time when it really counts.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

These pool reporters need to shake off the corrosion and do better. They got so used to dealing with basics that they've gotten dim-witted and intellectually lazy. They're being embarrassed for lack of due diligence and rightfully so.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Joe Manchin is a ghoul. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/05/covid-aid-bill-senate-vote-amendments-473805

The Portman amendment will cut more unemployment money for people and may not even pass the House. If he goes for this then either the bill will fail, or Democrats will take a big loss by voting for it.

Just scum. And too rich to care about all those he will bring suffering to with his endless right wing posturing. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Manchin is all about performance and doing his own self defined means testing. He's now agree to the extra $300 through Sept and only non taxable if the person's income is less than $150k. What the hell kind of BS is this? He's a showboat. He and Sinema are the Rand Paul versions of the democratic party - showboating. I can't decide at this point if Sinema is worse because of bringing that fricking chocolate cake into the senate daring people to call her Marie Antionette.  As for why she didn't vote for $15/hr, Kelly did who is more popular than she is so who knows. Find another popular moderate in Arizona and run them against her in the primary. I know that will never happen, but this drama queen is a PITA

At one point I was fine with Sanders bringing that amendment to a vote but I didn't know so many democrats including Chris Coons Biden's right hand man was going to vote against it. This is why Sanders is such a disaster. Did he not know who was for and against it other than Manchin and Sinema?

I am actually more intrigued with Terri Sewells proposal on the minimum wage increase which takes into account regional differences in COL.

At this point someone needs to get this caucus in line. For all the grief Pelosi gets, she does get the votes done with minimal drama. I'm at this point advocating for Klobuchar to become majority leader. She's a centrist and coming out against the filibuster shows me she has some guts. I've thought she would have been better than Schumer from day1. 

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

It won't make much of a difference to the final bill. The sturm and drang doesn't make me happy but that's the Senate, it's been pissing me off since high school. As for the actual bill, on balance a lot of it's pretty good and should be trumpeted on its merits. There's a number of concessions I don't care for, but most of them aren't that massive in the grand scheme of things. 

Both economically and politically we're going to need this bill, poor people are going to need this bill, and Dems are going to need the effects of this bill trumpeted out loudly in public to continue to get things done in '22 and beyond. When we pass decent legislation I generally opt for cussing out the Senate, grumbling about their foibles and then moving on and trumpeting the good stuff, and prepping for the next Senate fight. That's just how stuff often gets done and that's how I stay sane. The Senate is stupid, but we can and do still do good work.

• Members

We all need to be realistic about bills. Most good legislation involves compromise. The compromise in this bill was pointless but people did get that concession on taxable UI income which is a bigger deal than the extra $100/wk. The limitations on the $1400 was  pointless. Neither of these compromises really saved any money. It was just posturing which makes me angry. Just so Manchin can look like a tough guy.

There are lots of good things in this bill people are not even aware of. If you lose your job Cobra payments will be covered. This is a big deal. The smartest part of this bill is it extends into 2022 which is to the democrats advantage politically.

And now that Sanders $15/hr min wage proposal tanked, I say the dems should take up Terri Sewell's bill in the house. It's actually a good compromise.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

She doesn't even realize that she should be ashamed of herself. Sure, vote against it if you must, but making a fool of herself like this shows no self awareness. When JM did it he was voting against his party to keep health care for people (yes, I know he did a lot of bad things). She does it to vote against her party to keep more people poor? What an embarrassment.  I now have an intense dislike for her.