• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

During the impeachment proceedings,

Trump was giving the National Medal of the Arts to Toby Keith and Ricky Skaggs.
https://variety.com/2021/music/news/trump-toby-keith-ricky-skaggs-national-medal-arts-impeachment-1234884959/

(Washington post mentions only Toby Keith, doesn't mention Ricky Skaggs). Whatever.

The big thing in that WaPo article is that he doesn't want to pay Giuliani.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I was saddened to see that the maximum penalty for insurrection is 10 years. Hopeful most of these people will be charged with felony murder and every other thing they can be slapped with. I guess I must be 1% Republican because I was rooting for life in prison if not the death penalty.

• Members

It is.  But, it's up to Congress to rise above their fears and do what's best for the country -- which is, of course, to vote to impeach and convict an outgoing president who openly incited a riot in order to overturn an election he will insist to the day he croaks was rigged against him. 

As you can tell, I don't feel sorry at all for the Republicans who are afraid to vote in favor of impeachment/conviction out of fear of what their base will do to them.  By pandering to those idiots' worst fears and prejudices, the GOP fed and watered the gremlins who ultimately breached the halls of our government; and now that they are out of the party's control, the Republicans on Capitol Hill are "scurred"?  Well, that's just too damn bad.

Look at the Democrats (and few Republicans) who continue to speak out against this administration and violent events such as the insurrection at the Capitol.  Hell, look at anyone who has had the courage in the past four-or-so years to speak out against Trump.  They're all just as vulnerable to physical and other attacks from Trump supporters as are these "scared" Republicans.  They have just as much to lose, if not more, in voting to convict that man.  Yet, they refuse to be silent or anonymous about their fears and distrust of this administration, because they saw, from day one, that Trumpism wasn't just some passing fancy, but an existential threat to our very way of life.

Could the Senate do a special, secret vote?  Sure.  But, I say, that's cowardly.  I say, let every vote be broadcast on every network and corner of the Internet, and published on the front page of every newspaper and magazine, too.  Let each and every American know EXACTLY where each Senator stood on this crucial moment in our democracy's history.  If that results in senators being intimidated into voting not to convict, fine.  The majority of people who helped the Democratic Party take back the House, the Senate and the WH will remember their names the next time they're at the voting booths, and they'll do the American and democratic thing and vote them out.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I must be 1% Republican, too, lol.  If a POC can get life in prison just for having a bag of weed in his car, why shouldn't someone, or a bunch of someones, who plotted to overthrow the government get similar punishment?  No doubt, if people of color had been responsible for the riots, they'd already be swinging from the nearest trees.

Meh.  I always knew that bubba was, well, a bubba.