Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well, I hope the GOP is happy: thanks to Donald Trump, they have officially become the party of fascism and white supremacy.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the only way "establishment" Republicans will ever survive politically is to dissociate entirely from the party and either become Independents or form a new, third party.

• Members

The family Trump's leaving D.C. like the end of "Harlem Nights," with a trunk full of money and a building in flames.

I remember watching that moment and thinking, "Is that REALLY what you want your audience to be cheering?".

Edited by Khan

• Members

Sadly I think it's mostly just going to be a thin veneer of ass-covering, followed by a lot of the different elements sticking together because they generally manage to do so in order to hold onto levers of power. Gerrymandering will be a huge help in that area. If gerrymandering is ever tackled, then things will start to change. 

Speaking of which, here is a great example of cravenness in action. One of your state's senators, who voted to decertify the election results, now walking back after corporate donors got upset. 

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/sen-james-lankford-apologizes-to-black-tulsans-for-questioning-presidential-election-results/article_6f0c2d1a-56bd-11eb-a6cb-bfb64a69f21e.html

There's already a heavy push to try to downplay what happened at the Capitol, mocking the members of Congress who were scared, trying to just act like it was silliness and fun, etc. The more time passes the more that view will take up media oxygen. 

That can't be stopped, sadly, but I wish there was a way to completely neutralize (they don't have the votes to expel) all members of Congress who go along with this.

I was reading about the plans to announce a $1,400 stimulus and say that people already had $600 so that makes $2,000. I get it - it's clear some like Manchin were not going for $2,000, and Biden wants to try to claim bipartisanship and then if it doesn't go through, pass with a narrow majority (if Manchin will go along). But this is bad messaging - Democrats campaigned on $2,000. This just leaves room for media darlings like Marco or Josh Hawley (if he is still viable) to push their fake populism. 

• Members

Even though I figured out about a month ago that the individual relief payments would be cumulative (with the $600) and add up to $2000 total, I agree that this is misleading messaging, as it clearly became muddled. I do believe that Kamala and Bernie's bill originally called for a 2K payment but Joe, as the incoming POTUS is the final arbiter of what ultimately gets put forth and he seems to be making a declaration of $1400. It will be interesting to see what ultimately gets put in the bill, as the political calculus seems to change daily, based on the reality of the situation in the U.S.

Edited by DramatistDreamer