The Politics Thread

• Members

The Ben Shapiro column also was met with massive negative response across the Beltway, including inside Politico. I am the first person to distrust the Beltway when taking its temperature. But the presence of apologist voices in isolation or as outliers does not automatically mean "these apologist voices will be listened to by many and will soon overtake and dominate the public discourse." That simply has not happened here with the riots - the mainstream opinion and general public polling remains overwhelmingly negative. It is important not to constantly assume the other side is victorious by virtue of their still existing.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That's simply not true regardless of Shapiro. It's appalling that Politico ran that column as a "both sides" attempt. People living and working in the DC area are terrified.  My cousin lives in Maryland just outside of DC and they are hunkered down for the next week or so. She said everyone in the area is on edge and scared to death. I can't imagine any of the Politico staff that actually works in the area were happy they ran that.

• Members

I think it's an honest mistake and error, but also a stupid one. Just up the amount, make the checks 2K checks and stop assuming you can explain it to death to the American people like too many Dem messengers think they can.

The internal response not just in the Beltway but at Politico was massively and almost uniformly negative, which surprised me since Politico is and always will be founded on Republican values and perception. I will never trust them no matter what good reporting they sometimes do. But the fact is the bulk of the staff were outraged.

And as for the riots, all mainstream reporting in media today is about the sweeping identification and mass arrests and how serious and dangerous these attacks were and could still be. There are zillions of huge long articles about how close these lunatics came to killing Congresspeople or the VP. This is not being laughed off or treated as a joke on television or in print outside of the right. Period.

Meanwhile:

Edited by Vee

• Members

I definitely don't believe that there was any deliberate attempt to mislead but I do believe that the messaging got muddled along the way, perhaps a lack of communication in the midst of a harried, long and fraught election season.

I do agree that they really just need to bump up the individual relief payments to 2K.  It would be better than having to explain and over explain how and why their messaging went sideways to befuddled and possibly irritated Americans expecting $2,000.

About Politico, I probably read 5 articles of theirs per year (if that), so I doubt that anything they say, or write permeates much of the consciousness of the average person. It all feels a bit too "Inside Baseball" to me.

• Members

Easier to change it to $2000 then spend time on explaining it especially on your first piece of major legislation. Then thank little Marco for brining it to their attention and that they are changing it and are thankful for his support.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Except these aren't people who are arguing in good faith. If they got $2,000 they'd demand three. Give them three and they'll demand that there be retroactive payments. The goalposts always move because the whole brand of the left is that nothing is ever good enough. If they want it to be another $2,000 then write a bill for $2,000. It's not up to Joe Biden, it's up to Congress. Biden put forth his plan but Congress actually has to write and pass the legislation.

What's really pissing me off is that these are people who are always talking about how they want to help the poor and working class but they've completely ignored everything in the plan that does that like the increase in unemployment insurance, eviction/foreclosure moratorium, increase in the EITC, funding for schools so that people can send their kids back safely, increase in SNAP, etc... all because they want to be performative on Twitter.

• Members

Of course they're not, and I don't pay attention to them. But I do think it's a larger messaging error. I think it needs to be 2K checks because the vast majority of the public is expecting that, and as a side note, yes, grifters like this on either side of the aisle will make hay of it. Just add the $600, which will make the people happy but also add defuse these lunatics' arguments and let them move on to the next.

Meanwhile:

• Members

The biggest problem is how this may hurt vulnerable Democrats like Raphael Warnock, who will be called liars. 

Beyond that, everything else in the bill has now been eclipsed. That moment was lost,

Edited by DRW50