The Politics Thread

• Members

Seriously, I wasn't.  I do think that some people hope that the Americans will view this as some type of 'new normal' (like the neverending quest to make Trump appear 'presidential').  Signs show that Trump has already changed the presidency, of course, in all the worst ways.  Will his successor be able to change and redirect that?  One never knows...

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I seem to recall whisperings that the Trump team feared Kamala could be the next Obama... Lord knows she would wipe. the. floor. with him in debates. And he'd have a long, hard time coming up with a "catchy" nickname for her that wasn't racially sensitive. I'm still holding out hope for Kamala down the line. 

Whatever happens in the months ahead, I hope one of the underdogs, be it Kamala or Mayor Pete or even Klobachar (what is everyone's thoughts on Andrew Yang, BTW? DAYS' Martha Madison seems to love him on Twitter), turn out to run alongside as Vice President. 

• Members

I agree with Yang about the danger of automation, but I think he's much too willing to downplay prejudice and bigotry (his handling of the Shane Gillis fiasco on SNL rubbed me the wrong way). I also find his views on global warming - just move away from the water, it's too late - to be very glib. I find him overly glib in general. His cult following also alienates me.

• Members

Pff...she's a beyotch. The biTch got pissed off because a comment I made about Days. I am so sick of she being praised for her crappy acting when she followed a worse actor in the role. So anyone would've been better than previous Belle. So she needs to have a seat.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I don't want another CEO or businessman ever running for POTUS. Ever.  Perhaps, it is alright to have a cabinet position but not POTUS. Ever. Anytime the U.S. has chosen a businessman for the position, it's been an unmitigated disaster. 

I think Yang has some points on automation and jobs but I still think his answer is too simplistic.  I do think, Universal Basic Income could be a temporary solution to help people who inevitably fall through the cracks whenever the country transitions into another industrial shift but it most countries who try it, only have it temporarily. I'm not sure how it can be made sustainable on a permanent basis but as a temporary "patch" for people of working age, especially people who are chronically un and under-employed, I think it could actually be a viable idea.

That would definitely need to be factored into any Universal Basic Income plan.  Color, gender and age discrimination all work negatively against job applicants, it's not just about automation.  I do agree that he tends to over-simplify aspects, he could benefit from talking to grassroots and community organizations who have studied these issues on a granular level to gain more nuance.  I don't even pay attention to his following, really, although I've noticed a few that I've seen seem to have gone quiet lately. Maybe those are just a few of his POC women followers.

Edited by DramatistDreamer
Nevermind