The Politics Thread

• Members

@DRW50 -- at least, I think it was @DRW50 -- made this excellent point not too long ago: Republicans can throw out these dubious proposals all day long, and no one in the media ever asks them to elaborate.  Yet, because we've been conditioned to see Democrats as naive wussies, when one of THEM says he (or she) has in mind a plan to do something -- in this case, a plan to help get more Americans covered on life insurance through a program such as MFA -- the very first question the media asks is, "How do you plan to pay for it?".

I'm not saying Warren is my candidate of choice, but...why should she (or any Democrat) be made to answer such questions, when hardly anyone ever asks the same from their Republican counterparts?  "How do I plan to pay for MFA, you ask?  Let's just say I know a guy.  Now, Mr. Callison, are you satisfied?"

Edited by Khan

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

With Russia lurking about there is going to be much thrown at the nominee no matter who it is. Democrats could nominate Betty Crocker and Russia would say she slipped drugs into the cake mixes to get people hooked. The first vote in the primary is three months out so a lot can change and a front runner who no one expected could emerge (that happened in 2008 on the Republican side).

• Members

The same scenario would play out with Buttigieg as the nominee.  That might not seem important at the moment, with Biden, Warren and Sanders leading the pack.  However, the "little man in the stomach" -- the same dude who told me that Trump would get elected three or four years ago -- is telling me more and more that Buttigieg COULD be the so-called "dark horse," who pushes through as Biden and Sanders continue to stumble (health-wise as well as race-wise); cracks begin to appear in Warren's campaign and facade; and Harris struggles to sustain momentum.

That's why, as I said upthread, my dream scenario is a 2024 race between Buttigieg and Mike Pence.  Because, even if "Mayor Pete" doesn't become the nominee this time around, I feel he will have built up enough of a following that will be there for him (provided, of course, he doesn't blow it on something stupid...like getting caught in a sex scandal...with a woman) if and when he chooses to try again.

Plus, I must admit, the part of me that's perverse af would get a huge kick out of seeing the homosexual (who's actually bisexual, if you ask me, but I digress) and the homophobe (who's so obviously in the closet -- but again, I digress!) duking it out on the national political stage, with the homosexual coming out on top (...so to speak).

Exactly.  We're all thinking it could be Biden, Warren, or Sanders.  But it COULD be Buttigieg.  Or Harris.  Or Booker.  Or Beto.  Or Tulsi.  Or (God help us) Marianne Williamson.  Nothing is off the table.

Oh, and another thing: Betty Crocker didn't lace her cake mixes with drugs.  You're getting her mixed up with Duncan Hines.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Yeah, next to the day's other news bombshells, it hardly registers on the "GAF Meter."

But...he's gone now, and that's good enough for me.

I, for one, am glad to see Donald Trump restore normalcy and stability to the White House. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Khan

• Members

I feel like Bernie and especially Warren will be making it a point to have a black VP if they get the nomination. I'm stunned Warren hasn't done more to reach out to black voters since they're so important to winning the nomination. I also was ready to throw up with all the Buttigeg talk after the debate like he's a real contender. He has *no* black support and only started paying attention to black issues after being forced. Until he at least hits 1% I don't want to hear about him being a contender, but still all the post debate coverage was centered around him, Amy Klobuchar and Warren. I feel Joe Biden is becoming an after thought.

• Members

I get the theory that Biden supporters might give up on him at the last minute, but between Buttigieg being gay, his age, and also not having Biden's folksy appeal, he has no real chance. (I'm not going to say lack of experience because I don't know if people care about that anymore) He's so popular with the media that I have a feeling he will end up being a pundit and not have any real role in any Dem administration. 

Klobuchar also doesn't seem likely to benefit from Biden's struggles, so I guess barring a curveball, his supporters will just stay with him even as he falls apart. 

Buttigieg could have a strong finish in Iowa, but the only problem there is many candidates surge in Iowa and then die afterward. 

I do wonder what South Carolina's role will be this year in the overall primary. I have a feeling Biden will win easily but this time it may be an outlier...

Funny that we were talking about this when an article about Biden and the black vote pops up.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/18/biden-black-women-voters-2020-048703

Edited by DRW50