Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Just gutwrenching. If only this was an actual end to our "forever wars" then we could try to claim a lesson has been learned, but it's not. Too much money to be made and in Trump's case, too many debts being collected. 

So the Canadian elections are today. From most projects it looks like the Liberals will have a minority government. Here's a good article on how nothing seems to be happening, to the point of ignoring real problems in Canada.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/21/canada-election-political-challenges-052249

• Members

Why is she even serving as a Democrat?  Why not Republican or Independent?

Meanwhile, I know Democrats must be concerned about the funds (or lack thereof) being raised by each candidate, especially when they look over and see how right-leaning donors have been flocking to Trump's re-election campaign.  But, look at it like this: aside from that one guy, whose name I'm blanking on at the moment, Trump is running again, uncontested.  The Democrats, OTOH, still have, like, 800 people jockeying for the nomination.  With that many people still in play, the money is bound to be funny.

IOW, it's time for many of the Democratic contenders to get real about their chances and Drop. Out.  Hickenlooper was smart; he saw the writing on the wall right away, and now he's refocused on running for the Senate instead.  

Edited by Khan

• Members

It's difficult for Republicans to get elected in Hawaii. That's why you have quite a few 'conservadems,' like Ed Case. Many liberals were seething when he got his old seat back last year. 

That news about Pete Buttigieg is not a surprise. He is on the rise, somewhat, in Iowa, but probably not enough to win. Even if he does Iowa is probably the end of the line for him. He's going to get a very good job in some tech company, think tank, or cable news channel, and never go back into politics. 

• Members

Ah, I see.  Thanks, @DRW50

Please register in order to view this content

So, what's the latest on Brexit?  I just heard on the radio that the Speaker of Parliament has denied another vote on Boris' latest proposal.  What does that mean for Brexit?  Where does the U.K. go from there?

• Members

If the EU doesn't agree to another extension, then the UK crashes out on October 31 with no deal. If they agree to another extension, then I think Parliament will vote on the deal in a few months. The idea is generally that if the vote is held now Johnson's plan will pass. 

I was reading about an MP who is being called "their" Lindsey Graham (only she is in Labour, not even a Tory) as she has overnight become an ardent Brexit supporter, even more than many Tories. And people are speculating it's because she recently joined a think tank with many hardline Tories. I guess our countries still have such self-serving corruption, allegedly, in common. 

• Members

One essential thing I mentioned though is that the EU never wants to be seen as the one to blame if/when sh*t hits the fan in the wake of Brexit, so despite the fact that they're obviously tired of the U.K. and would rather they just go at this point, they've been highly accommodating to the British PM, whoever she or he is at the time.  The EU has been doing this for over 2 years now, despite accounts that their patience is wearing thin. 

I'm not into making predictions at this point, I think we have to see how it will all unfold as the month of October winds down to its conclusion.