The Politics Thread

• Members

If a Democrat were in the White House, Taylor's testimony would be blaring news everywhere. Instead it has mostly been greeted with a shrug. The numbness toward Trump's corruption will be what gets him out of this. Sad. 

As for Brexit, there are a lot of MPs who go along with the "people are tired of waiting, just get this done" mentality. A Labour MP went on TV saying he was going to vote for the bill even though he hadn't even read it. 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It got coverage, but I've seen more about Trump saying he's been lynched and whether he should use that term and whether Democrats are hypocrites because a few of them used that term when Clinton was impeached, and so on. Trump distracted the press and they fell for it, as usual. 

• Members

Bloomberg said he would not run yesterday.

Anyway, this, in a nutshell is how the E.U. feels about the U.K. and Brexit. Junker is letting the exasperation show.  He says that Brexit has been a "waste of time and energy".

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I don't have much belief in them alone, but there's been lots of wariness of the field for a while now, especially since clearer and stronger choices to combine establishment and a new future, like Kamala Harris (or to a degree Cory Booker or Julian Castro - or even Pete Buttigieg) haven't really broken through. You have two people who are distrusted or untested for many in the party and one person who seems to be falling apart in slow motion. It reminds me of how wary many in the Democratic establishment were of the state of the field in 2003, which is when Wesley Clark was parachuted in to save the day. I don't think the fantasies about Hillary, Michelle Obama, Holder, etc. are true, but I can believe there's a lot of unhappiness about the state of the primary. It's just you can't parachute a 'dream' candidate in the way you could have in the past - they'd be chewed up and spat out.  

• Members

I hope you're not talking about that bollocks article by Maggie Haberman about the dozen Democratic donors, @DRW50 because I'd have to agree with the sentiments expressed by others. IMO, it is too damn early to be hand-wringing and making these prognostications.  Also, it's damaging psychically.  Primary voting hasn't even begun, whatever happened to waiting until the first rounds to see how this unfolds?  I don't get this type of thinking. 

Also, I also have to disagree about the sentiment that somehow Taylor's testimony was undermined by Trump's ignorant lynching comments.  Yes, people were upset by his comment but also recognized it for what it was-- a deliberately provocative comment meant to obfuscate and draw attention away from Taylor's statements, which, imo, did not work.  Most people I know were talking about the "bombshell" statements given by Taylor and what that meant.  This morning the news focused more on that, as well as on the news that at least 50% of registered Independents polled are in favor of impeachment. Trump's "lynching" remarks were a very distant 3rd or 4th story.

• Members

Agreed.

I do think a lot of centrist Dems are spooked by Warren and trying to manufacture a narrative in the press. But I don't think the real situation is as dire as they want to make people believe it will be unless we nominate someone less progressive. We can certainly differ on how viable she is or isn't, but I think the recent fishing articles are an attempt to slow her down coming both from that wing and even from the center-right Beltway media, and it won't work.

Edited by Vee