The Politics Thread

• Members

Stop treating black people in this country (and elsewhere) as if we're a monolith because we're not.  I have good, long-existing friendships with black people who live in the South (some in the "Bible Belt") and the midwest who are unquestioningly liberal.  It's the same nonsense thinking that proposes the idea that the working class could only ever be white. 

There are no doubt some 'traditionalist' blacks and a few of those are avowedly conservative but you will also see more white conservatives in those same areas.  Go onto social media and type Buttigieg's name in the search bar and compare the number people with AVIs that have white faces vs. black and see their comments about Buttigieg, you will find far more comments from those with AVIs with white faces making Bible quoting comments that are quite personal directed at Buttigieg.  

At this time, the Buttigieg campaign is having fundraisers being thrown by pharmaceutical companies (many of which are the subject of lawsuits for various reasons) but by all means lets blame blacks in the South as the reason he's not getting the traction some think he deserves. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

IA, @DRW50 and @DramatistDreamer.  Buttigieg's sexuality hasn't been what has kept him from gaining any ground with African-Americans -- and as @marceline advised us upthread, don't trust anything the NYTimes tells us about the Democrats.

Buttigieg really needs someone in his immediate circle who is OF color, who is sensitive to these issues, and who can best advise the rest of his team how to reach out to POC without making his efforts look like racist pandering. 

Because, I don't think he's racist, I really don't.  I think he is someone who will at least try and listen to us and our concerns, which is more than I could say for anyone under the Trump administration.  I just think Buttigieg doesn't quite "get it," if that makes any sense.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Ugh. People still watch Joe Scarborough? Why? These 2 sanctimonious a-holes should shut it. Where has all their outrage been regarding the hate rallies, regarding the Lock Her Up, Send them Back chants. They gave this clown Fluff coverage in 2016 and not once I suspect did they ever challenge trump on his UNAMERICAN spreading of the Obama birther lie.  And I doubt very much as I have seen a few tweets, anyone on that show supports any democrat for president. They are all hoping (with NBC's help) for anther 4 years for the orange clown.

• Members

Joe and Mika are being roundly criticized on Twitter, add those to the many who have avowed to just ignore these two hosts.  Trump himself has insulted them repeatedly, so his fanatics hate them.  Where do Joe and Mika go from here?  Does anybody really care? To paraphrase @JaneAusten , who even watches Morning Joe anymore? It's been a good five or six years since I've bothered with that show.

Everyone knows that Rachel Maddow gives MSNBC whatever ratings boost they've gotten these days. 

Morning Joe is trying to be relevant.

Joe and Mika will fall off trending in a few hours. #LockHimUp has been steadily trending since last night and will likely continue to trend the rest of the day.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Their...concern is misplaced, past due and completely disingenuous (sp?).

Like I said, I don't see the big deal here, but if Americans feel confident enough to chant "LOCK! HIM! UP!" to our leaders, then that's their right.  The First Amendment says so.

• Members

Did Trump almost botch the mission?  And why should we pat him on the back when 1) he wouldn't do the same for Obama after Osama bin Laden's death and 2) he gave Russia the heads-up about going after Baghdadi but NOT any Democrats?