Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've seen some talk that this shouldn't have been close, and Trudeau made it close, but the way so many countries are splintering, I'm not sure I agree. Speaking of that, it looks like there's a push from some in Alberta to try to secede from Canada. I have to wonder who is backing that...

I looked at some of the tweets about Bernie defending Tulsi, and many were incensed that he had waited several days to speak up. She truly does have a cult surrounding her (nothing new for her...). No lessons have been learned from 2016. She and Bernie seem more likely to help Trump than they already did in 2016.

• Members

I'm also not that familiar with Bloc Quebecois, the Quebec based party that won 32 seats. If I recall going way back this party was formed temporarily in the early 90'sand was progressive to push for sovereignty. Over the years evolved to become different things. At one time they were pro secession. I am not clear on where they stand now and whether they are still pro secession. I do wonder if they can be tapped on to help form a majority in some sense. The Liberals I believe won 155 seats which is more than was expected. So Trudeau needs to cobble together 15 more seats to gain a majority. And Trudeau also needs to stand by what he committed to. The Canadians for example, led by Trudeau, have been one of the beneficiaries of what's going on in the Amazon. Not the fires but the structured cutting down of the forests for lumber use. Doesn't sound like someone fighting climate change.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I'll have to ask my family about this, some of them are Canadian citizens and reside in Ontario, although a few have very strongly negative feeling about the whole "Quebecois" issue (i.e. secession, not the political party).  I will have to ask about the Alberta factor as well. 

From what I understand the other party that the Liberals would need to work with, in order to pass legislation are not conservative so that prospect looks a lot better compared to the possibility of having to work with conservatives.

Hasan Minhaj did a good interview with PM Trudeau some time ago.  It started out playfully but quickly evolved into Minhaj asking some serious questions and chiding Trudeau on environmental issues, which really put Trudeau in the hot seat.

A quick look on Wikipedia, and it seems that Quebec has something of a special status called "Statut particulier", which gives them a status of being a "distinct society", while still being a part of Canada.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

LOL! Yep

I can't believe they voted YES this quickly (I know there is a timing issue) especially with how many times they voted no on May's deal. But I find it hard to believe they would have voted yes while leaving the issue with Northern Ireland so explosive. Or maybe they really just don't care.