It is being reported that Eileen Herlie has died

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WOW this actually made me cry a bit--I've never had such a strong emotion to the death of a beloved soap star before--I guess because the past two major AMC ones for me--Fra as Mona and Ruth as Phoebe--Mona's happened when I was still pretty new to the show--I had loved her character but didn't feel attached--and Phoebe had already been very backburner even by the early 90s when I started watching, and Ruth was ill for a long time. This also caught me by surprise as, and I hate to even say this, but I thought James Mitchell would be first to go.

You will be missed, great, gracious lady.

A brief bit of her in Hamlet

• Members

I'm truly sad to hear that darling Eileen Herlie has left this world and has gone on to the next.

Myrtle was the last of a type of character that only Agnes Nixon could create.

Rest in Peace Eileen and Farewell Myrtle. You'll both be missed more than you could imagine.

• Members

Wow :(

For me, this woman was a huge part of AMC. Like someone said earlier, Myrtle Fargate was one of those wise, eccentric older characters (like Henry and H.B. on Guiding Light) that really made these soaps like home.

What a rough year for soaps - Beverlee McKinsey, Irene Dailey, Eileen Herlie. Tremendous talents and they are all gone.

RIP

• Members

RIP Eileen Herlie! :(

I loved Myrtle. She NEVER became "old", she was the youngest at heart older character in daytime. She had a fiery personality, she told it like it was, and she drank spiked lemonade! Remember scenes of Myrtle and Simone dishing on men and drinking spiked lemonade? Her last scene with Zach was SO GREAT and showed who Myrtle really was. Myrtle was a FORCE. Herlie was spot on in the scene and lucid and focused and never over-the-top. Loved her all over the place, Herlie, and Myrtle, were amazing. She's given me so many great memories.

Travelling to Llanview to give Skye a piece of her mind.

The Myrtle/Rae/Skye relationship...

Myrtle's reaction to learning Bianca was raped in the boarding house on that couch.

Myrtle/Zach's saucy friendship.

Myrtle's relationship with Erica, Kendall and Bianca.

Myrtle's last fun scenes with Palmer at the Valley Inn!

Myrtle's relationship with Red/Santa Clause! She's done SO MUCH.

For a proper tribute they need to bring back:

Francesca James (Kelly)

Peter White (Linc)

Linda Dano (Rae)

Robin Christopher (Skye)

Carol Burnett (Verla)

Luckily they'll have Kendall and Bianca in place... maybe Josh? Brooke!

My God... ANY old characters could come back for this! Who hasn't dealt with Myrtle in some way!

• Members

Eileen Herlie, you will be missed. She was a talented lady. She's one of AMC's favorite and best castmembers ever imho. Mytle was AMC as only a few other characters are.

I agree that Francesca James(as Kelly), Peter White)(as Lincoln), Robin Christopher(as Skye) and Linda Dano(as Rae) should all return for a tribute to Eileen and Mytle. It would be nice to have Carol Burnett back as Verla too, and maybe Richard Van Vleet(Chuck), Candi Earley(Donna) & Julia Barr(Brooke).

• Members

MAN, this is really kinda effing me up... I know that I've already commented in this thread, but was anyone else born in the late '70s like me and watched this show as a little kid with their parents/grandparents? I lost my mom this year, about a week after Beverlee McKinsey, and my mom and I talked on the phone about Ms. McKinsey's death, how sorry she was to hear that. About two days later, my mom was gone. AMC was her "story" and she will FOREVER be a link to that show for me. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't be on this board right now. I know it sounds lame to the "outsiders" but when you've watched a soap for damn near 30 years, crap, these "characters" really take on an emotional connect to our lives. That's the power of the actor. Whether they realize it or not, for every fan letter they get, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of more fans who don't put that pen to paper and express just how much these actors and their characters mean to us. God bless Ms. Herlie, and God bless the Pine Valley that Agnes Nixon created which was SO POWERFUL, that for all of the ups and the many many downs, we have stuck with it. OUR "story".

• Members

Imagine if they can do a reunion of all of Myrtle's former residents, gather together reminiscing about their lives in the boarding house. I can't even begin to think of everyone who lived there: Kelly Cole-Tyler, Greg Nelson, Jenny Gardner, Opal Gardner, Frank Hubbard, Simone Torres, Maggie Stone, Bianca Montgomery, Brian Bodine, Kendall Hart Slater, Ceara Connor, Skye Chandler-Quartermaine.... I know there are so many people I am missing.

• Members

I guess it's just hitting me now what a HUGE blow is this to AMC.

There's no more "mother figure" on the show -- that character that EVERYONE could go to for advice and comfort. Myrtle was truly a mother to all.

Grandma Kate is gone... Mona is gone... and now our dear Myrtle is gone :(

• Members

oh, about Myrtle..

when I think of Myrtle I don't think of Erica and Bianca, I think of Langley and Phoebe and Phoebe trying to get to the bottom of their secret and calling her "Myrtle LUM" with disdain usually reserved for that no good hussy, Donna BECK. Those were the days when AMC was actually great.

Archived