It is being reported that Eileen Herlie has died

• Members

Although not an original cast member, Eileen Herlie, as Myrtle, was as much a part of AMC as Phoebe, Joe, Ruth, and Erica. Her character's trajectory is how veteran characters should be treated and used. I enjoyed how much she became Erica's surrogate mother, her understanding of and relationship with Zach, and her last crazy storyline with Red/Santa Claus? (Remember that?) As many in this thread have already stated, her onscreen memorial will hopefully be as dignified and stately as the actress, but with a touch of the bawdiness and "carnie-flavor" of the character. My heart will no longer zing at the sight of that flaming red hair on my television screen, knowing I was in for a treat of acting and true class.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does anyone else find this odd?

1994. Tornado. Fra Heflin (who plays Erica's mother, Mona Kane) passes.

2008. Tornado. Eileen Herlie (who plays Erica's surrogate mother, Myrtle Lum Fargate) passes.

• Members

I guess we can stay a permanent 'good-bye' to the boarding house now. I wish another character could take it over, but keep it named Fargate Boarding House as a tribute to Myrt.

Opal would be a good choice. Have Opal give back Cortlandt Manor to Palmer, and then she can move into the boarding house and have the Glamorama in the back.

Archived