It is being reported that Eileen Herlie has died

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Skye is prob coming back to the show anyway right?

SFK I totally get what you mean and, not as strongly, but I feel some of the same way. AMC has always been a sort of surrogate family for me.

ANd yeah--AMC is wanting in characters like this. Adam will never become the equivalent, I suppose Erica could sorta but she has a long way--and it would be out of character--and we can't expect it from Ruth especially as it's nuRuth anyway. There are a few types of tentpole characters I wish that they would work on setting in place and building up--we don't really have a scheming, kinda campy, older woman like AMC was always known for (I thought Mary might fit this spot but she was never properly used), for only one example

• Members

The secret was Myrtle knew Verla was Langley's right? how did she know? I have an episode with them (1990's 25th anniversary?) all finding out in Myrtle's store...

Ironic of course seeing ad it was Phoebe who brought homeless Myrtle ito Pine Valley to try to break up Kitty and her son Linc, I believe--pretending she was Kitty's dieing mom

• Members

Myrtle knew that ‘Langley’ was an imposter. Not a professor, but Lenny -- a purse snatcher she met in the carnival. She blackmailed him for about 5 years before the truth came out. He was so scared that Myrtle would tell Phoebe. There were some hilarious scenes with Myrtle threatening to expose him.

• Members

Right! I remember that now :)

They should open back up her shop (I guess it's meant to be that bigger store we saw Randi shopping at). I miss when the show had people in different professions--and not all rich. It's more interesting having the women of pine vally ahve different businesses--not ALL working at Fusion, etc.

Back to Eileen--what is good is she seemed to be able to work pretty much right near the end of her life, and didn't suffer with a long illness--and that AMC treated her with respect and on contract till the end.

• Members

I LOVED it when Myrtle was blackmailing whatshisface....a friend and I still, when we want to make a point, (and are drinking) say, "Listen LEENNNNNIEEE" the way Mrytle did when she wasnt taking his [!@#$%^&*]!

LOVED that old broad! Now with no more Mona's or Mrytle's or H.B.'s or Bert's or Aunt Meta's, the days of a wise old character who could kick ass are going down the drain...Frances Reid and Helen Wagner are the only one's left and they seem to be slowing down.

• Members

How sad. Hoping we can now here more from her lover, the Egyptian sculptor Hassam Heshmat, about their epic, long distance love affair and the 2006 fatwa levied against him by the Grand Mufti of Cairo before it's too late. That Eileen had an even more colorful past than Myrtle Lum.

• Members

I think the end of 2003 was a great year for Myrtle and Eileen. She gave some outstanding performance around the revelation that Michael had raped Bianca. I remember the scene at The Boarding House when the police come to search the premises. She sinks into Boyd's arms and later gives the ominous warning that Michael will pay. I would have loved the show to go that direction with the storyline. It would be like Mona killing Jason Maxwell to protect Erica.

Another great performance that year was when Bianca went to The Boarding House and saw Myrtle had not yet thrown out the couch Michael raped her on. Eileen delivered a beautiful soliloquy about how she was going to do things when she was ready and resolved, and how it was her way of fighting Michael for turning her life upside down. Eileen never phoned it in, but she also knew how to enact subtleties to very dramatic moments that the green actor would overact.

Archived