Victoria Rowell Goes Nuclear on Y&R

• Members

It may appear that way- but she cited her reasons for being released from her contract- were strictly about her own book. And to be honest, I've listened to her interviews before, and this was never a gripe- it was just the way it was. She never asked for special privileges because she wanted to do double duty.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's some examples:

Elizabteh Harrower- she was a writer for Y&R when she played Charlotte Ramsey. However, none of us fans knew that as that Charlotte/Liz/Kay/Jill SL was playing out, that Elizabeth ws dying. Perhaps being in front of the camera was always a dream of hers... if that's what it was, I'm glad she got to fulfill it.

Meg Bennett- She DID write and act at the same time, however, she did say that Bill Bell would not allow her to write her OWN SL, she had to write for others.

Jim Houghton- He did come back briefly in 2001, while he was still on the writing team... although it wasn't but for a handful of episodes. Was so glad to see Greg again, though.

John Pleshette- Although it was nighttime soap, he wrote and directed on Knots Landing while he was an actor on it, and arguably, he wrote one of the best episodes of the early years... "Night" , where his character, Richard has a nervous breakdown and holds his pregnant wife at gunpoint. I about peed myself the first time I saw that episode (I was about 13 at the time)

• Members

The Meg Bennett situation seemed to be the way Bill Bell did things though, that was my point. Victoria Rowell said up-front that she wanted to write and be credited for her character and her character's family, which isn't something I think Bill Bell would've allowed, yet alone the current powers that be.

The Jim Houghton thing was different, those were guest spots, as you pointed out.

BTW thanks for the added information!

• Members

I agree that Bill Bell wouldn't have done it. While he was always open to hearing ideas from his actors and even sometimes executed those ideas on screen, the manner in which it was executed was always up to him. And based on the way he handled the Meg Bennett situation, I can't see how he could have VR writing for Dru and the Winters and not have it in some way shaped by VR instead of him.

And it's always possible Jim didn't even write any of those scenes around the brief return of Greg and Snapper. At the time, Jack Smith and Kay Alden were the HWs, so it would have been their choice, but maybe they handled it in the same way Bill Bell did with Bennett. And even if they didn't, the story they were writing was really Jill's story with Greg as one of the supporting Fosters pushing it along, so it would be a very different thing than VR actively writing her own story and that of the co-stars she works with directly.

I seem to remember one interview with Jim back when Bill Bell still was HW where he said he pitched a story that would bring back Greg, but Bill turned him down. Had that story come to fruition, however, I suspect Jim's part in writing it would have stopped with the pitch, which isn't that different from the ideas VR brought to the table for Dru over the years.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I'm sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I missed out on this juicy little morsel and just had to say that I love me some Ms. Rowell and all the more after listening to this interview. Gotta join in on any Ms. Rowell Love, Davetta Love, and the "Valley Girl" Hate. LOL!

Y&R Free for 2 Years and Counting!

Archived