Victoria Rowell Goes Nuclear on Y&R

• Members

But the key to all this is that Victoria QUIT! She wasn't fired, she decided to walk and then wanted to come back. If I had to put up with hell day in and day out no way would I want to come back because the cast that she has problems with are still there and she just burned so many damn bridges. Maybe she's bitter that Y&R hasn't asked her back and she just had diarrhea of the mouth and said some [!@#$%^&*] that she really should have kept to herself because she really made it hard on herself for ANY daytime show to want to hire her, let alone her go back to Y&R.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not going to listen to this interview because I don't want to lose my respect or admiration for VR. I find it very odd that MS would spit on VR. Why? It would have made Phylis looks SO bad to do that. Not to mention making herself look really bad to the rest of the cast and crew if the scene was not agreed on before hand. Anything is possible and I wasn't there so I won't say VR is a liar, but I can't believe it unless I hear it confirmed somewhere.

• Members

I just think people are intimidated by her bluntness, because I've heard people outside of Y&R say glowing things about Victoria Rowell. Sometimes, it's just the people who are around you that determine what personality you're going to give them.

But anyway, soap fans want all the backstage gossip -- and when they get it, they get soured by it? Well, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

• Members

I think there's a cultural sensitivity that perhaps MS doesn't quite grasp as is the PB issue. But I'm shocked by PB's comments, considering his work with the actors and actress that play Angie and Jesse on AMC- I don't think he was meaning to come off as he did, and probably made the comment under a very different different tone---- as was the podcast taken out of context on this forum...She was merely responding to rumor and was in no way attacking any of the actors. She and MS obviously aren't best friends but the fact that she wanted to continue in their s/l proves that she felt MS was a good actress and is adored by many fans.

As for the Lily comments, it was in no way an attack on CK, but on that of the casting department. I'm sorry but she doesn't represent what is and was the Winter's legacy, and is just as poor as JB on OLTL. I think people wanting to find something will have no problem- but she only stated the truth....sometimes the truth hurts.

• Members

I agree, I think this is and will be the daytime industries stance on diversity- which is why I don't see it lasting through the centuries---things are very different than they were in the 90's and 80's and yet you can find a better representation back then than now....

IN VR's position, she dealt with that reality everyday she went to work.

• Members

I say good for her for speaking out. How many times have fans said the same things that she said in that interview, but we all know tptb never listen to them.

Good for her for having the balls to publicly address the issues that everyone knows are out there, but always choose to ignore.

Will she be going back to Y&R, probably not, and why should she? They don't need her, she doesn't need them. (I disagree that she will not be able to get work otherwise. Her face is very recognizable, and she's done work outside of Y&R, right now she's been spending all of her time promoting her book and doing good works.)

I think AA in the industry should be tired of holding their tongue in order to keep their jobs. It's a double standard that needs to be addressed, and once again, good for her for doing so.

• Members

The difference is, those people worked behind the scenes at soaps AFTER they left as actors. I can definitely see how it would be a conflict of interest to write for a show, as well as act and direct for it.

If she got that opportunity, then I guess every actor on the show should be allowed to write their own storyline, because it would be the only fair thing to do.

• Members

Hmm, I think I'd just like a strong black actress if not Drucilla. That's why I adored Dru, because she was fierce, and a minority character. You rarely see that these days, regardless of the colour... For what it's worth VR is a good actress but her final months on Y&R stunk, both acting and writing wise. That's the only year that I disagreed with her for Emmy contention. The other two years, she was flawless. Oh well, I'm just happy that we're getting Tonya Lee Williams back, which IMO was always the better actress. And no I'm not saying that we should take whatever "minority" character we can get and be happy with it, but I just adore TLW/Olivia. There is a uniqueness about her that I've always liked. BTW I too I'm happy that VR did not hold back in the interview!

• Members

What interviews of other cast members? As far as I know there have been three cast members who have mentioned Victoria Rowell's on set behavior and the only one that was over the line was Peter Bergman's. Doug Davidson and Jeanne Cooper mentioned the situation but neither were nasty in their interviews. Jeanne Cooper also complemented Victoria on her acting and screen presence and her success as an author as well as insinuated on set problems. I don't see the cast as a whole publicly attacking Victoria Rowell.

She also isn't completely neutral in her interviews. She has made some very valid points about race issues in daytime and the problems with the emmy process, but along the way did plenty of self promotion and had quite a few digs at her castmates who according to Victoria apparently judge others harshly if they don't hang out after hours, bring in baked goods, and base decisions on who are the popular kids on the show. She probably has some valid points but she has hardly been nuetral in her many interviews. She made her coworkers look like jokes in the press and they took heat for the emmy snub. She did get snubbed, but again I don't see said comments as being nuetral.

And what has been the point of her many mentions of Y & R not asking her back and saying that she would be willing to come back to the show? Talk about passive aggressive. If she wanted to really come back to the show then why give this interview and if she doesn't want to come back then why keep talking about the show? She is a very successful author. Her next book will probably do well, so unless this is about further promoting her next book I don't get why she is still talking about the situation on set. Talk about her book, talk about the emmy process, talk about the issue of race in daytime but focus on the big issues and not the petty behind the scenes fighting on set.

• Members

Braeden alone gives interviews as bad or worse than this one just about every other month.

And?

When Finola had a book she promoted it.

That's how those things work.

Since when?

She (much like several of her castmembers) stated she didn't fraternize with the rest of the cast but she didn't badmouth others about doing so.

The only issue she had was with it was how it influenced the Emmy process.

How?

Her issues were with TPTB.

She NEVER mentioned anyone personally prior to this interview.

Outside of the Emmy process she was more than complimentary of The Bells & Y&R.

Archived