Victoria Rowell Goes Nuclear on Y&R

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow.. unprofessional and bitter... I didn't like her before, I don't like her even more now.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved Dru and I loved how VR played Dru. But from what I read and heard from VR, I don't like her at all.

If Y&R is recasting Dru, it will be VERY VERY HARD! They would have to find a really STRONG actress to do it. Maybe it's even impossible. I don't know. But if they did find a new Dru that would work, I would be very happy... on so many levels.. :D

• Members

I am sure she had some race issues backstage, but being hated by your cast mates and hated by your bosses in the world of soaps is not a race thing.

Just ask George Reinholt who had a love hate relationship with many of his co-workers and his bosses. He demanded too much and it got him fired not from one who but 2. and he never worked in daytime again.

His co-star who was also fired Jacqueline Courtney got the luxury of being asked back to Another World. George Reinholt was only asked to come back for an anniversary show - never to come back to the show as a star.

If you are hard to work with, it goes a long way to what you get.

Reinholt had a lot of great issues. He wanted better treatment of all daytime TV actors. He wanted better pay for daytime TV actors. He wanted the actors to get billing like the primetime counterparts got so people would know their names. He wanted better writing and better stories.

His issues were all valid and good ones. He went about it the wrong way.

As my grandmother always told me - you catch more flies with honey.

Sometimes when you have big issues to try and get others to accept you have to kiss some ass to get it done. you go in all hostile with people, you turn them off from your issues before you even get to tell them what they are. That is in Communication 101.

George Reinholt and Brenda Dickson both were unliked backstage and both will most likely never work in daytime again. Both were white.

And as far as fans turning on folks, that happens many times. Just look at the fans who turned on Drake Hogestyn last year when they just thought he said some things. He didn't even come out and directly say stuff like Victoria did. Fans just thought he meant things and put words in his mouth. They were ready to throw him under the bus and drive over him themselves.

• Members

Yeah I think those that didn't like her still don't...I've been watching her for over 15 years and this isn't a new version to her personality. She is who she is- I don't think she needs a popularity contest- she has many of adoring fans...I think what she says has yet to be disproved with daytime lacking in diversity.

I find it interesting that when actresses such as Reva are outspoken and honest on a regular basis are considered divas, pioneers, "the reason for the ratings"....and actresses such as VR if they were to ever cross her lines are considered loud mouthed, trouble makers, with bitter outlooks on life. I have to wonder if it is a color thing? Considering how many people ask on a regular basis for VR to reprise the role as Dru to make the show better, you would think people could respect her talents and correlate her with quality. But I think the general attitude seems to be - "these things happen and there's no reason to get in a huff over them because things won't change!"

"The Young and the Rest of Us"- is that what you are referring to?

• Members

This is a terrific post. Let's face it...in America it is easier for a person of color to get on this "bad" list than a white person...that is institutionalized racism. But Victoria Rowell's fate is a going to be a complex combination: institutionalized racism PLUS the "demanding" personality of a star who cares (too much?)...someone who has difficulty doing the "honey" when it is phony. or when she perceives a power imbalance.

It saddens me to think, though, that this is the next George Reinholt. That said, the Robin Strasser example makes me think there is always hope...except the Reinholt/Strasser examples were more about clashes with TPTB and less with co-stars. The difficulties expresed here regarding Khalil, Bergman, Stafford...makes one worry that too many public bridges are burned here. But if Braeden and Bergman could suck it up....why not the cast with Rowell? There is always hope....

• Members

I'm glad you provided this information. Do you know if George was kicked off after the writing and producing team drastically changed a la at Y&R? Because Victoria did have a lot input back in the day but I think it all really came to a head when Lynn came on.

I just read in an article (scroll down) that he was gay, although he came out long after they fired him on Another World (I read that on Wikipedia LOL).

But you know how Hollywood actors are. Some people never come out and remain on the down low. This is all speculation, clearly, but it could be a possibility that Lemay knew of Reinholt's sexuality and discriminated against him as well. I guess we'll never know. But I find it strange how they rehired his then-wife, Jacqueline, and not him.

I never rule discrimination out because the fact of the matter is, this entertainment medium portrays very white, straight, and wealthy people 80-95% of the time. If there are any people outside of those boundaries, then they're marginalized because they're the minority and, thus, don't matter.

• Members

Oh it wasn't anything to do with Reinholt being gay. I do not think he was out then. When he and I have talked via e-mail and letters he never has indicated he was out then.

AW had several high profile actors and actresses who were out then - even 2 actresses who were dating in real life at the time.

Rauch and Lemay just got tired of Reinholt's antics. Hey I love the man - he is my all time favorite actor in daytime. But hey even though I understand his reasonings and his issues and hate I got robbed of his performances, he rubbed people the wrong way. I can see that. I hate it. boy do I hate it.

I loved him on both AW and OLTL, and so wanted to see him continue. He had the same problems on both shows with the higher ups. As Mark H said his was not so much a cast mate problem as a higher up problem. But there were some actors on both AW and OLTL that felt George carried things too far and some of that hindered production.

The thing that I hate most is that all of it ended up affecting him overall in the acting business. His problems with daytime and his reputaion made even stage folks not want to work with him either.

And in the end the fans have been robbed of great performances and enjoying the great actor that he was.

As much as you hate to say it, sometimes if you want to be successful - you have to play the game.

It is only the rare performer who can buck the system and get by. Bette Davis was one of the few women that could, but even she got a rep taht caused many directors not to want to work with her.

• Members

Thanks SteveFrame.

I guess it matters, then, if one believes Rowell's behavior is justified or if she is playing with a half deck. Considering the quality she brought and her dedication, it is evident to me that her actions seem justified. Still, she did ask for a lot, so i get the flipside. But I'm on her side lol.

It's only sad that she has burned the path back to y&r.

Archived