Victoria Rowell Goes Nuclear on Y&R

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was like "You guys have a point, she is sounding kinda nuts here"...until the end where she mentioned my girl Davetta Sherwood and how much she loved working with her.

And then the "We lived in France, darling. I don't know where Valley girl came from." I love how she has no IDEA how Christel Khalil was even CAST. That's been my question for years now.

Neil has a KITCHENETTE! HAHAHA! I think he's the only executive without a house. Neil is just above Stepin Fetchit, has been for years. And KSJ toes the line.

I imagine she's very difficult to work with, she carries an entire storyline/family on her shoulders, she's what made the Winters all that they were. Daytime doesn't tolerate difficult especially if you're female and non-white. I mean, that's essentially true of most work environments. You're irreplaceable until you're not.

Honestly the only problem I really had with the interview was the cadence of her speech, sounded very rehearsed and put upon. It made her sound almost condescending even though she was as sweet as possible to those guys. I wish she had a venue to really express her, perhaps to get the Y&R PTB to understand where she's coming from and vise versa.

• Members

VR speaks like a woman who has obviously had to endure a lot. Is she bitter? Yes. Would any of us be if they were spat on? Yes. So I don't see why her being bitter is negative.

It is true that she brings up some very important issues, or injustices, that have been going on. And I admire her courage to talk about them, even though I think that she will probably not solve any of this issues with this interview.

Thing is, she's done with Y&R. At least for now.

• Members

Its not the first time she has tried to say shes the reason Y&R went number one. Someone needs to give her a history lesson...

Ecactly. If you are wanting to go back how bad was it?

word.

I could not agree more.

I disagree that they would not have had a problem with it. If an actor wanted to star, write, and direct? I dont think any soap would allow it. Pitch a storyline? Sure. Write it? No. I could be wrong, but i just dont see it.

I ujust dont think she was fired because of her race. I think she was firec because she demanded too much and created a hostel work place. I cant see Victor pushing Jack off a cliff no. Her exit was awful. No doubt about it.

And just like people wont vote for other people just because they are old, a woman, gay, hispanic, white, or whatever other bullshit reason they have to hold against a person.

• Members

Oh, of course it wouldn't be possible for her to write, direct, and star on the show. But to disallow ANYTHING!! Then again, since Lynn took over around the time of Victoria's demise, the Queen of lockdown, that made a load of sense. And because producers were ready to take Lynn's vision over anyone else's, anything Victoria had to add simply would not cut it. These are all elements for her exit. So, I agree she was being the dreadful DIVA. However, I truly believe if she were male and white, it would not have come to this. For goodness sakes. This is why people are said to hate Madonna, Hilary Clinton, and any other strong iconic women.

After Victoria left, Neil wasn't even matched with a black woman! Prior to that, Y&R ALWAYS cast Neil with mainly recurring Black actresses. Roxanne is a blip on the radar. And it took MONTHS for Maria to decide to rebuild the Black cast only to ship them off yet again.

They thought she was dispensable; it's so clear. As daytime tends to think all Black actors are (Renee Goldsberry anyone?).

Compare it to any white male actor who's been on any daytime show as long as she had and who left as much of an impact. White men who, it's also possible, demand as much as she does.

• Members

I agree.

But i dont think them letting her go had to do with her being female or not-white. I think it has eveyrthing to do with ehr damnds and attitude. Soap history is full of various actors - including white males who are evts - that have been fired due to issues with them on set.

• Members

can anyone provide a episode count for VR compared to other actors....no matter what race or sex

one thing for sure, she set herself apart from everyone else on the show, cast and crew....and when you spend 14 to 16 hours a day with these people .... playing the diva card puts you right were VR is ....on the outside looking in....

• Members

I agree that she is needed. IMO, the absence of VR/Dru has left a huge hole in the canvas, obviously with the Winters clan. She makes the show infinitely more interesting, IMO.

Yup.

And what's the deal with an actor/actress writing? Why was it such a big deal when VR wanted to do it? It's not like it hasn't been done before with Pam Long, Ellen Weston, Ellen Wheeler, etc. <_<

• Members

That was certainly an interesting interview. Whatever my opinion of VR and her tactics, its refreshing to hear somebody give straight answers to straight questions. It's better than the "there's no bad blood" party line we often get even when its clear there's plenty of bad blood. Whether you judge her negatively or positively at least its possible to judge her based on her real behavior and words.

• Members

In 2007, out of 83 episodes that aired January-April, she was in 31 episodes and took spot #34.

In 2006, out of 253 episodes that year, she was in 134 episodes and took spot #12. (Jack, Nick, Phyllis, Sharon, Brad, Victoria, Michael, Neil, Gloria and Daniel had more appearances)

The years before that I still have to check......

Archived