Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Members

Lois Kibbee would have been ideal to write a book about Edge.  The first lady of Edge Ann Flood would have been a perfect partner!  Great idea!  I think today's biggest Edge cheerleader, Sharon Gabet would be a wonderful choice to spearhead this!  I'm not sure who is left now from the early days but Don Hastings and Millette Alexander are still around.  From the 60s Emily Prager (Laurie Ann) and Christopher Norris (Sarah Louise), Alberta Grant (Liz Hillyer), Fran Sharon (Cookie) and Millee Taggart (Gerri McGrath). From the 70s Lucy Martin (Tiffany Whitney), Maeve McGuire (Nicole), Leslie Ray (Babs Micelli), Jeanne Ruskin (Laurie Ann), Sharon Gabet (Raven Whitney), Terry Davis (April Cavanaugh), Holland Taylor (Denise Cavanaugh)....  There are too many to name still left and that isn't including crew and behind the scenes.   Well.... I can dream.    

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Also still living are Fran Sharon, Tony Roberts, Frances Fisher, Denny Albee, Margaret Colin, Lee Godart, Ernie Physher (Townsend), Lela Ivey, Marianne Alda, all six of the actresses who played Nicole and Geri, Ted Tinling, Leah Ayres, Laurie Vendig, Renee Jarrett, Tony Craig, Nark Arnold, Allen Fawcett, Joe Lambie, Leah Ayers, Lori Cardille, Stephanie Braxton (also a writer), Sandy Faison, Pamela Shoemaker, Chris Weatherhead, Michael Comforti and Gillian Spenser (two more writers), Louise Shaffer (another writer), Kerri Emerson, Marcia Cross, Alan Feinstein, Kathy Cody, Willie Ames, Kate Capshaw, Dorothy Sinnette, Dan Hamilton, Anita Gillette, Leslie Ray, Richard Thomas, Joey Baio, Carolyn Groves, Sam Groom, Margaret DePriest (another writer), Martin Sheen, Dr. Sheldon Collins, Alice Hirson, Lawrence Pressman, James Hall, Lynn Leveredge, Susan MacDonald, Mari Gorman, Jay Gregory, Thom Christopher, Lucy Martin, Holland Taylor, Larry Joshua, Bibi Neuwirth, Bernie McInerny, Mark Rydell (from the original cast), Judith Barcroft, Karen Needle, Polly Adams, John LaGoia, Deborah Goodrich, Scott Glenn, Nicholas Pryor. Cynthia Gregory, Lori Laughlin ...

These are just some of the names that I can think of who could be interviewed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

On this day in 1973 (August 1st), Adam Drake and Nicole Travis finally got married after an eight-month engagement (he had proposed to her at the stroke of midnight, December 31, 1972).

This was one of TEON's most popular couples.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I know Raven was one of the main fixtures of EON by this point, but this set of promos is so lopsided in showing her under any circumstances they could find, it veers into mad libs. I wonder if any non-viewers at the time saw these promos and thought, "What the hell is that Raven lady up to?"

• Members

Just thinking that when CBS dropped EON, would things have been different had NBC picked it up and placed it at 4pm instead of Somerset?

it would have had a strong lead in from AW (although that didn't help Somerset)and be in a slot already held by a soap -at ABC it replaced a game show.

Who knows?

• Members

Maybe it is just that I began watching EON after the switch to ABC, but I feel like it was a better fit with that group of soaps than NBC @Paul Raven.  The mystery vibe went well with GH's action adventure era.  Monticello was more urban, like Port Charles, than the suburbs of Bay City and Salem.  And the glamorous female centered stories that emerged after Adam's departure made sense alongside Erica at AMC, and Dorian at OLTL, as evidenced by the marketing campaign.

And @DRW50, while I would watch Raven tie her shoes if that was all that was available in an episode, to be fair if we were watching more mid 80s summer promos we would have seen more of Jodie's stories being previewed.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I do not believe that at the time of the network switch, Procter and Gamble would have voluntarily allowed the cancellation of its serials (Somerset) to allow the pick-up of another of its serials (The Edge of Night).

The purpose of the network switch was to keep The Edge of Night and to preserve its continuity.

• Members

I guess you are right.  Although Somerset was on its last legs at that point anyway. NBC could have said we'll take Edge to replace Somerset or just cancel Somerset  .

Maybe Somerset could have moved to 12.30 to accommodate Edge but that would not have helped Somerset to be up against 2 other soaps.

• Members

CBS could have moved it to 3 or even 4 (although probably would have had low clearance).   There was that stupid rule about P & G soaps not competing and wanting their soaps in a block   Although it competed against Somerset when it went to ABC   Maybe they didn’t care since Somerset was on its last leg

It sometimes seems like P & G tried to destroy their shows