Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Interview with new Gabby:

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Emmerdale-role-Television-Workshop-s-latest-star/story-28814021-detail/story.html

This episode takes place right after Diane catches Bernice and Carlos at it. She really tears into Bernice in some lengthy, powerful scenes. I miss the Bernice and Diane relationship. We got a hint of this when she objected to the farcical Bernice/Lawrence marriage, but it lasted for about a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K04YnqXT8E8

For those like me who are not in the UK, you should be able to see this. It's a blooper from the taping of Thursday's episodes. It did make me smile.

http://robronspoilers.tumblr.com/post/140049688702/outtakes-aaron-meets-his-sister-things-dont-go

Edited by DRW50

• Members

^

Thanks for posting the Diane/Bernice episode. I find it odd how isolated they have Diane from Bernice and even Gabby in recent years. They'll have simple exchanges but they won't delve into much more. I'd love to see Diane be more involved with Bernice and Gabby now that Ashley is about to succumb to his illness and Gabby acting out. 

• Members

I guess it's down to block taping, but the dismantling of friendships and family relationships in recent years has hurt the show a great deal. Bernice almost always has scenes with the same few people, and Diane spends more time wringing her hands over Chas than she does with anyone in her family, especially Bernice and Gabby. I'd like to say this can change with a new producer, but I'm not expecting it. It's a shame, because Bernice and Diane have a very untapped relationship.

This is the episode I got my icon from - it's the one where Leyla goes to her mother's funeral and clashes with Alicia. I'd say I'd forgotten how much I liked her with David, but I never really have. Sometimes I still wish they'd go back again, but maybe the past is left for the past. And so many nice scenes with Doug and Leyla too. This is Leyla 2.0. Not as good as Leyla 1.0, who had a lot more humor and quirkiness (Gavin Blyth took most of that away), but still pretty good. The current Leyla is a mix of the first and second. 

All the snappy patter in this episode is typical of that era, which is mostly a lot of fun...but it made Marlon and Paddy very annoying when not in small doses.

I'm reminded again that Jackson and Aaron would have made more sense as friends than lovers. 

Andy's control freak issues get a lot of focus here. I really liked Adele. It was a waste that they got rid of her, but such is the fate of most WOC on Emmerdale. 

Alicia's husband/Jacob's dad, who no longer exists, was always so easy on the eyes, even if he had a smushed head.

Seeing Terry makes me feel sad - the show has never been the same for me after his pointless, grisly death. The show had already started to have a lot of problems by the last months of 2010, but that was the last straw for me. If not for Robert I wouldn't have come back.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Second episode. 

Jacob really has aged a lot - it's hard to believe it's just been 5 years. Rhona looks a fair bit younger too. I've never liked her with Paddy and I still don't here. She was more natural with Marlon.

Lots of good Terry (and a rare tolerable Rodney) scenes. 

Hazel was so rude, but she did make me laugh at times. Later she became an emotional vampire and an abusive harridan. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Aaron's protectiveness over his little sister is so endearing. When the detective said he couldn't disclose the identity and he exploded I was so touched...

Uhh Ashley and these scenes with Bernice are heartbreaking to the core. I swear I about slapped the nonsense off Bernice when she lashed out at Ashley on Friday's episode. Try it again witch. 

WOW at that ending....sh*t just got real....I can't believe Robert...

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

I think I was more appalled by Lawrence than I was Bernice. Bernice taking a shot at Ashley impulsively is typical Bernice. I knew she didn't mean it at all, and was just peeved b/c Ashley was calling her out on her mothering skills as of late. Lawrence thinking it was cute to pay people off to solve the problem is the main reason why Lachlan and Chrissy are f-cked up as it is. That's why I was praying that David would've told Lawrence and even Ashley to f-ck off. I cheered for David too when he tossed Lachlan's past in Lawrence's face too. 

I am not shocked at Robert paying someone off to lie; however, I see this only backfiring in due time, which will allow Gordon to get away with his crime. 

• Members

I doubt it. He was never onscreen with Megan - not sure if she ever mentioned him. He really did seem to vanish almost immediately on Emmerdale. That whole family was a flop - Mia was especially slappable.

What annoys me most with this nonsense is that I feel like we're actually supposed to be supporting Lawrence and Chrissie. Lawrence being asked to adopt Gabby, even though he's not only a terrible parent, but is also a hardcore misogynist. And Chrissie's nonstop WHINING (does she ever do anything but whine?) to Andy, who shows himself as a chump by just saying family will take care of Lachlan, like family took care of him. Family "taking care" of Andy led him to kill his mother, shoot his father, knock up underage Debbie, and batter his wife Jo black and blue. He needed therapy, which no one on the show will ever say to Chrissie about her precious son.

I was always against Chrissie/Andy, but I'd hoped if they got together he might at least talk sense to her about her monster of a son. That he is instead enabling her pathetic delusions means I'm fully disgusted by it.

I hope the new producer does not coddle this nasty family the way Kate Oates did.

• Members

I hope the new EP just gets rid of the Whites. Love Kate Oates but this family is a dud. All three characters are duds. Only thing they did right was bring Robert back to the village. Other than that, I've disliked all three characters and found them all disgusting. 

Good to know that I found Andy coddling Chrissie to be gross and an eye-rolling moment. Love doesn't solve sh-t when you have a sociopath on your hands. I'd rather them be put together as I'd rather Rakesh stay with Priya. I know they were entertaining Rakesh/Chrissie but I was not here for it at all. 

I didn't like Ashley asking Lawrence to adopt Gabby too. I feel like this was another attempt by Oates to further thread this family onto the show for a long time via Gabby. I don't wanna look at Lawrence's closeted, misogynistic ass years from now. No. Bernice needs to defect away from that family and the new EP needs to pack them up and bring a new family on.  

• Members

I think Lawrence is an interesting character, but more if they have him come out and date a toyboy or something. Chrissie and Lachlan though - I can't anymore...especially Lachlan. 

If they were going to pair Chrissie with another man I would have taken Ross.

• Members

While we're discussing Lawrence - did the village as a whole (or even Chrissie) find out about his history with Edna and her husband? I don't think they did, and it's too late now. 

And although I agree that Chrissie can be whiney, I do like her. Just wish she hadn't had that awful haircut recently!