EastEnders: Discussion Thread

So it's Dennis that bites the dust. He was an unlikable nasty cold boy. Yet i don't think they should've killed him. But EE loves killing characters. In big splashy deaths. This does create conflict for Ian and Sharon. But i really don't want to see their longstanding friendship ruined. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, it's not like Dennis was some brilliant young character. But the potential, and that legacy, squandered is a very poor choice. Especially for how it will wreck Ian even more. What more can be done to him, honestly? And of course Phil's back already. I can't get into the new hyper-masculine version of Ben either.

• Members

So I loved Friday's episode and the entire week. I thought they did a good job of merging all the stories together, wrapping up a lot of existing stories and starting a bunch of new ones. 

I'm admittedly a newer viewer (I did watch EE for a time several years ago, then quit), so I'm not as familiar with every legacy character, I do understand why people are upset with Dennis dying, especially since it sounds like EE has killed off young legacy characters several years in a row. I don't think legacy character should always be exempt from being killed off, but you do have to be strategic about it. You can't be killing them all off either. Make sure you have a long term plan if you're going to do it. Hopefully EE does. 

I personally would have killed off Phil, since I find him to be the Sonny Corinthos of EE, but I knew that's not ever going to happen. 

• Members

I am glad that people are putting Dennis death in the same category of as the other countless legacy kids that have been killed off over the past decade. EE is so stupid that they won't have any young leads with ties to core families to carry the show in the future b/c they keep killing them off. 

And while this will create conflict between Ian and Sharon, this is yet another chip away at Ian. How can he really remain on the show at this point when he inadvertently caused demise of Dennis? This just springs up old wounds of how he disgustingly covered up Lucy's death. 

If this show wanted a shock killing that would generate press, why not kill off Phil? It's long overdue and it is truly something that would've impacted the Square. Dennis dying is small and will have little impact. It only affects Sharon. For an anniversary episode, they should've went all in or nothing at all. 

• Members

It turns out I was right

Please register in order to view this content

Killing off Dennis is so stupid and it's definitely another one to add to the likes of Abi, Steven, Lucy etc. He was literally reaching the age where he could have decent story potential in about 2 or 3 years. A link to Den and Dennis, I mean really, what a stupid move. They never learn, do they?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Why do the UK soaps seem to make all the kids crazy weird killers? Or emotionally distant. I get that it's "interesting" but it's always felt so lazy to me. (To be fair, a lot of them should be screwed up, and a lot of the US soap kids should be in constant therapy, so I get it, but ....)

Ben can do all of these horrible things yet Denny had to go? Lord make it make sense.

Aww and June Brown left? Was she somehow driven off? I was always expecting to hear her say she was leaving but that seemed abrupt. I do apologize as I don't closely follow the UK soap news. I try but can't see or read everything.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Not sure exactly what happened but it seems she wasn't happy with the storylines she was getting and decided she didn't want to sign another retainer/contract.

EastEnders apparently was under the impression that she was only on a break and was coming back (hence the low key exit), leading me to remark at the time that she seemed to have done a "Beverlee McKinsey"

Here's the interview with Rani Singh (who played Sufia Karim in the late 80s). She drops the bombshell that she's left 21 minutes in...followed by a limerick she composed about it!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/650596/2780620-distinct-nostalgia-ep-5-eastenders-at-35-at-home-with-june-brown